Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:29 PM

Default New with questions about eating insulin and timing

Hi all, new here and to diabetes in general.
So my dog Raisin aka RayRay was diagnosed with diabetes back in January when she almost died from ketoacidosis
She is 6 years old and a Heinz 57 dog.
We were not financially able to have her stay overnight in a vet hospital so we took her in during the day and did home care at night. During this time we got covid and couldnít take her in for her curve, then we were not able to buy an Alphatrax because of the insane vet bills and out of work so it was well over a month by the time we got some off brand meter for her. We did take her in for a curve but her vet didnít give us any paperwork about her just the bill. She also upped her dose to 14 on the syringe.
So far we have been doing everything wrong. For instance, I only did 4 readings for her curve. I feed her ol Roy dry dog food, and pedigree wet food.
I donít know how much to feed her and we keep messing up the timing for her shot so we wait till a new more appropriate time to give her her shot. We go around the clock trying to time the shots right. But now, itís also raisin and her refusal to eat in the morning, afternoon or whenever it maybe. I feel like she has caught on to eating equals shot. So just like yesterday and the day before, her shot is sitting on the counter for about 5 hours now. She gets her shots twice a day so she needs to eats twice a day. My questions are whatís the latest one can go between eating and a shot? Also is 2 hard boiled eggs enough to give the shot? And one more question, if she doesnít eat but then decides to eat like 6 hours later can we give the shot then start the 12 hour timer from that time? So if she use to eat at 8 am but doesnít eat till 2pm do we then feed and give her her shot at 2am? That is what we have been doing for one reason or another .
I forgot to mention she is 54 pounds, and the meter we use is pet test avocate. Her recent numbers were 418 417 358 446. I make chicken jerky for her and she takes occu-glo for her eyes. The pills are too big for a dog to swallow so I just transfer the powder into smaller capsule and dab in butter for easier swallowing.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:46 PM

Default Re: New with questions about eating insulin and timing

I'm new here myself, but I believe you need to feed a low carb, lean protein diet.
At least that's what my endo doc said.

Donna
Old 03-24-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoMax View Post
I'm new here myself, but I believe you need to feed a low carb, lean protein diet.
At least that's what my endo doc said.

Donna
Hi thanks for replying, What do you feed your dog? Is it homemade?
I have 2 other dogs here and sometimes 3.
I canít afford to feed 3 to 4 dogs anything expensive so that is why we buy ol Roy.
I can buy Raisin quality food and put the other dogs outside while she eats, but that is not an option if the 4th dog is here because she will eat all their food before she eats her own.
The other dog is here 24/7 but she belongs to my daughter who isnít here all that often.
Everything food and treat wise I do for Raisin, I have to do for the other 3 dogs, or they look at me like Iím a jerk monster.
At this point nothing is working because Raisin has stopped eating, so Iím at a loss.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:52 PM
Founding Member

My Jesse was diagnosed at 5.5 years and I let her go at 16.5 . Never went blind from diabetic cataracts .and did not give eye supplements I fed her a homemade diet . I may have spent $20 a month on food for her at 26 pounds . My Jesse's did not do well on a high protein low carb diet which was my first mistake for diabetic Jesse . It needed to be balanced including good carbs like oatmeal

My Jesse got one meal a day and 3 shots and that's what worked for her . Her morning shot was reduced and gave her a milk bone Carby snack to work with strength of insulin .

So you can develope a routine for your situation.like I did for Jesse but like I said it needs to be consistent day in day out but once regulated maybe 150 to 250 for the day . Some do better some struggle to get this level . My jesse was between 100 and 200 . You may relax a bit

You can give 2 meals a day ,1 meal a day . Maybe 2 meals with different amounts but once again needs to be consistent . For some reason one meal and a snack gave her great numbers . My thought is she had less influence of the digestion process

I also used a discount human meter for her diabetic life . We did diabeties on the cheap and she lived longer than a normal lifespan for her breed . . I bought food on sale at the grocery in bulk at reduce costs and I think her homemade fresh diet was cheaper than a premium dry food . Now it was a process of figuring what worked and what she enjoyed eating . If you don't eat we have a problem . We may have had a handful of times she was not willing to eat .

She did get a hardboiled egg with her full meal with a half dose and gave the other half an hour later . She got a quarter dose in the morning with her milk bone snack 11 hours later from that second shot in the previouse evening and did that for 10 years but it took 6 months to stop being reactionary and a year to settle into her routine

There is no book to follow . It's very dog specific and household routine . Now I concluded we could relax a bit and have some forbidden fruit I always let her clean the plates and had some ice cream on occasion with no real affect on blood sugar

Testing sugar at home was key and I did it allot until she was constantly regulated and only tested her at injection times and when I thought she had a problem
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 03-24-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
My Jesse was diagnosed at 5.5 years and I let her go at 16.5 . Never went blind from diabetic cataracts .and did not give eye supplements I fed her a homemade diet . I may have spent $20 a month on food for her at 26 pounds . My Jesse's did not do well on a high protein low carb diet which was my first mistake for diabetic Jesse . It needed to be balanced including good carbs like oatmeal

My Jesse got one meal a day and 3 shots and that's what worked for her . Her morning shot was reduced and gave her a milk bone Carby snack to work with strength of insulin .

So you can develope a routine for your situation.like I did for Jesse but like I said it needs to be consistent day in day out but once regulated maybe 150 to 250 for the day . Some do better some struggle to get this level . My jesse was between 100 and 200 . You may relax a bit

You can give 2 meals a day ,1 meal a day . Maybe 2 meals with different amounts but once again needs to be consistent . For some reason one meal and a snack gave her great numbers . My thought is she had less influence of the digestion process

I also used a discount human meter for her diabetic life . We did diabeties on the cheap and she lived longer than a normal lifespan for her breed . . I bought food on sale at the grocery in bulk at reduce costs and I think her homemade fresh diet was cheaper than a premium dry food . Now it was a process of figuring what worked and what she enjoyed eating . If you don't eat we have a problem . We may have had a handful of times she was not willing to eat .

She did get a hardboiled egg with her full meal with a half dose and gave the other half an hour later . She got a quarter dose in the morning with her milk bone snack 11 hours later from that second shot in the previouse evening and did that for 10 years but it took 6 months to stop being reactionary and a year to settle into her routine

There is no book to follow . It's very dog specific and household routine . Now I concluded we could relax a bit and have some forbidden fruit I always let her clean the plates and had some ice cream on occasion with no real affect on blood sugar

Testing sugar at home was key and I did it allot until she was constantly regulated and only tested her at injection times and when I thought she had a problem
Wonderful information! Iím grateful to you and this information!thank you!
So what I got from what you have said is, test a lot and settle into a routine that works for our situation and never stray from the routine of eating and insulin, but thatís are ok. I was happy to hear licking the plates was still ok cause that is what my Raisin does and she is sad she canít do that anymore. One more question: when you gave half shots and and basically less than normal shots, did they always equal up to the total amount your vet told you to give daily? So like if I only give Raisin a half shot with a boiled egg then a full shot with food 12 hours later, she will be a half less then what Iím supposed to give her. Is that ok? Thank you again for your time and info. This forum is great!
Old 03-25-2022, 10:58 PM
Founding Member

your thought process may sound logical but saying eating one certain kind of food and amount would gather the same dosing total but with testing you can see how it goes and adjust when necessary . May need a little more or a little less depending how your dog digests food and process insulin

It is a bit more complex and requires more testing to get it right . I gave up on jesses vet after a month and went it alone except for help from the forum . The vet could not put the time in that was needed to regulate jesse

we bought nph insulin and syringes from Walmart so we did not need a prescription . Its a slow incremental process with usually dose adjustments upward no more than a unit and as small as a quarter unit for fine tuning

Yes consistency is your dogs friend. Even walks and exercise should be consistent in terms of time and amount as blood sugar can go lower during

most do get to a regulated place and a new normal what works for you and your dog . I never looked at it as a bad thing or good just a different way of living and jesse thought she was normal . Actually I think she liked all the added attention .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 03-28-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRayRay View Post
Hi thanks for replying, What do you feed your dog? Is it homemade?
I have 2 other dogs here and sometimes 3.
I canít afford to feed 3 to 4 dogs anything expensive so that is why we buy ol Roy.
I can buy Raisin quality food and put the other dogs outside while she eats, but that is not an option if the 4th dog is here because she will eat all their food before she eats her own.
The other dog is here 24/7 but she belongs to my daughter who isnít here all that often.
Everything food and treat wise I do for Raisin, I have to do for the other 3 dogs, or they look at me like Iím a jerk monster.
At this point nothing is working because Raisin has stopped eating, so Iím at a loss.
I use The Honest Kitchen, grain free, dehydrated base Mix, which is about $60 and lasts 39 days ($60 at Chewy) and about 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast per week. I know, it's expensive, but nothing about Diabetes is cheap I've found! LOL