Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puggy diabetes and the freestyle libre

Hello all! Hoping to get some guidance.

My 4 year old pug was diagnosed with diabetes three weeks ago today. No one can figure out why. He’s dealt with multiple acquired portosystemic shunts and liver failure for most of his life, but those conditions have been successfully managed by a specialty vet hospital. Once he was diagnosed with diabetes, they put a freestyle libre device on him to monitor his curve while we find a good insulin dose. The first one lasted 13 days before failing. The second one lasted less than 24 hours. And the third lasted 6 days. He is getting his fourth tomorrow. For those pugs who use freestyle devices, what tricks or tips do you have? We tried keeping a t shirt on him, wrapping it with an ace bandage, and gluing material around it. He seems to either scratch or otherwise adjust it, removing the needle from his skin. Any tips on keeping them on or body parts to put them on? It’s currently being placed in his shoulder blade.

Also, any dogs here who also have liver issues? He was on hepatic food for the liver failure and our vet tried to keep him on that food since it was working well for him, but we’re now thinking he may need a change in diet. Anyone have any experience with both?

Re: Puggy diabetes and the freestyle libre

There has been some dogs using the libre .with some success . I don't have any experience . I was my Jesse's libre and her inner lip was her testing ground . She was diagnosed at 5.5 years . Reason why doesn't matter but it's definitely a pancreas problem .

I would think it would be difficult to keep the device on a dog as it's developed for humans . You just need to experiment or test the old fashioned way which is a more permanent solution
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Re: Puggy diabetes and the freestyle libre

Hi. I have a 13 year old diabetic pug who uses Freestyle Libre 2 sensors regularly. We've had one or two that have failed, but they've been largely pretty reliable. I place my dogs' one on his back, left or right of the spine, behind his shoulderblade... or an inch or two further back depending on where his last sensor was. They are designed to work only for 14 days each, and will automatically stop working after this.

I shave his back and apply four SMALL spots of superglue around the outer edge of the sensor sticky pad before applying it. This helps it stay put for the two weeks. Removing it can be a little difficult sometimes.... I bought some superglue solvent and this helps... just apply it around the edges of the sensor and be patient.... gentle tugging will eventually get it off.

The sensor does not leave a needle in your dog... the needle that you see is hollow and just makes a small puncture in the skin when you push down on the applicator and then immediately withdraws, leaving the actual sensor in the top few millimetres of the skin. The sensor itself is just like a bit of thick cotton, so don't worry that your pooch is having to suffer the pain of a needle in his/her back all the time. Mine barely feels the applicator, never mind the sensor thread !

I'm not sure how yours failed, but bear this in mind - if it says you need to check again in ten minutes - even if it does this for hours, all that means is that the blood glucose levels are changing too quickly for the sensor to get a reading on. Mine do this all the time just after he's eaten and had his insulin. Don't worry.... eventually it will give you a reading once the glucose levels have stabilised at whatever level they are.

In case you're not aware, you can go to www.libreview.com and see the glucose curves and more data - or at least I can with mine as I scan using my mobile phone and not the Freestyle reader. I'm not quite understanding how your puggy is managing to dislodge the sensor if it's on his back ! Is he/she rolling on their back to try to get it off ? Mine isn't even aware that it's on him !

Liver issues: Yep... mine has elevated liver enzymes. We try to help ours with Silymarin / Silybin / Denamarin / Milk Thistle tablets. I don't know how effective they are... My vet suggested them. I just feed them to him and hope for the best.

How are you managing with the insulin doses ? Are you getting good glucose curves ? I am having a nightmare with mine... his levels go through the roof after food and plummet to almost hypo levels after insulin. He seems to be exceptionally sensitive to Caninsulin.

What about food ? The biggest problem by far that I have with ours (and the very reason I came on the forum tonight to ask help for !) is that he is continually ravenously hungry. I can feed him and give him his insulin and two hours later he's barking constantly demanding more food. This, I can ignore in the day. In the middle of the night, it's far more difficult. e.g. I fed mine at 10:30pm last night - just before we went to bed. 3:40am this morning he woke me up demanding food.

I can't live like this much longer.

Good luck and it you think I can help any further, please message me.

Cheers !
      Last edited by Aneng; 04-13-2022, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X