Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diabetic Australian Cattle Dog

could be true for non diabetics.
    diabetic dogs need consistancy. feeding two different types of foods, ingredients, carbs, fat wont get her regulated. i.ve seen this situation before. seems feeding the dry is causing problems. were on hold i thought
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

4:57pm :: 163 Prodigy / 198 Alphatrak
      5:04pm :: Meal with 20mg Trilostane

I decided not to wait and gave her food now since I know she didn't eat much this morning. I'll keep checking and only give her insulin once she is above 200 again.
      Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Comment

drop back .5 to 8•5

keep testing

Originally posted by Zoology1603 View Post
        4:57pm :: 163 Prodigy / 198 Alphatrak
        5:04pm :: Meal with 20mg Trilostane

I decided not to wait and gave her food now since I know she didn't eat much this morning. I'll keep checking and only give her insulin once she is above 200 again.
        20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

5:34pm :: 393 Prodigy
          Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Comment

okay good

what food and how much did you feed?
            how much insulin?

Comment

I fed what she didn't want to eat this morning. A mix of wet and dry. 70 grams of dry food. I added extra wet to finish off the can and get it out of the refrigerator, 236 grams. This brought her up to her full kcal for the day, making up for her poor diet this morning. I haven't given her any insulin yet, I was going to wait until 6, her normal 12 hour injection time.

@ 6pm gave 8.5 units of Vetsulin.

6:37pm :: 580 Prodigy
              Last edited by Zoology1603; 09-26-2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

we feed and inject insulin every 12 hours. feeding 2 hours earlier isnt being consistent

i said 8•5 units insulin instead of 9 to meet up with the cup of freshpet. .she should of got the same 9 to be consistent .with the wet and dry

i asked you to wait till she was over 200 and test then inject to be consistent. waiting 30 minutes isnt being consistent.

her say 3/4 of freshpet is the first time we,ve seen regulation. we just needed to reduce her insulin today, so close. i.m not messing with her insulin this way. hold and be patient. tomorrows another day

Comment

It's possible you have some rebounding going on which is blood sugar could be dropping to fast in a short amount of time . My Jesse could only accept a certain amount of injected insulin at one time which required 3 shots for her

Once a rebound has occured you can see elevated insulin resistant blood sugar for a day or longer until it resolves and then the process begins again

Now I don't usually give exact dosing requirements but more of a direction . You may need to reduce the dose to maybe a normal starting dose for your dog . Maybe even lower to see if you are seeing rebound events or possibly some resistence from a dose to much . If you decide to do that it can take a week to settle to get a clearer picture and may have to put up with higher numbers

Just a small amount to much can cause chaos with bloodsugar.depending on the dog Now I do understand thats kind of going backwards . I spent allot of time going forwards and backwards with Jesse . One vet told me to take Jesse off insulin for a week as he thought it was a misdiagnosis . I did give it a shot but after 3 days her diabetic symptoms returned so I new she was diabetic . Just very sensitive to insulin and on a much lower dose than normal . That is what made it difficult because she did not follow the general program

There are always oddballs . Not saying your dog is and the standard program usually works for many . As I suggested the Cushing diagnosis and medication throws you a bit of a curve ball
                  . I guess it could take as long as a couple weeks for the meds to load up and get a clearer picture of how you dog will process injected insulin . As we talked about dogs seem to need less insulin as cortisol levels are reduced . Now we don't know where your pup is on that scale as far as doseing at this time

You try a method . You give sometime to settle and judge if it's worth continuing or throw it on the trash heap . Either way you learn something..
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What is the nadir? 132 mg/dL.
                    What was the duration of action of the insulin? BG is within 80–200 mg/dL between roughly 1 hour.

Insulin is starting to lower BG at around hour 3 after injection.
                    Average BG is 374 mg/dL.

176 mg/dL this morning at 6am.
                    Last edited by Zoology1603; 09-28-2022, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Hoping things have been going OK for you guys today. I have no words of wisdom about your graph, of course. But I’m definitely hoping that it’s been an OK day.

Comment

We've been doing well. Just trying to figure out what foods work best for her.

She's been in the 200 range the last couple of mornings. I just need to give it some time to let the food routine and her body adjust to one another and then I can test for the nadir again, making sure her dose isn't too high.
                        Last edited by Zoology1603; 09-29-2022, 06:04 AM. Reason: Added new information.

Comment

Wow! That definitely sounds like good progress, though! Reading this is a good way to start my day ;-)))))

Comment

Down to 95 (Prodigy) today at the 8 hour mark. We just need the right day to do a curve and see what we see.

Comment

That maybe a bit to low and a reduction in the dose maybe needed with cortisol levels dropping . Its a 2 part equation for you two

Always be prepared for a low sugar event with liquid sugar . I gave my Jesse a spoonful of honey . Sometimes I rubbed it on her inner lips . That would get a bit sticky . I had to do that quite a bit early in Jesse's diagnosis as she was overdosed on insulin
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yeah and I have no way of knowing if her cortisol levels are dropping and won't for another month or so. Now that I know roughly about where the lowest reading occurs I can monitor her and make sure it doesn't fall too low. That's about all I can do as I presume the Trilostane is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Through observations I know she hasn't had to go outside in the middle of the night and she has high energy levels during the day as she wants to play when we go outside.

I am using less than 25% of the 19 units once a day the vet put her on but 9 units twice a day is still more than recommended for her weight. I worry it might be too much but I haven't seen any signs of that yet. I'm doing a proper curve today now that she's been regular for a while in daily food and exercise. It just seemed silly to buy an expensive food that I couldn't possibly continue buying on a long term basis. I wanted to find a more realistic combo that both worked and didn't break the bank.

Now if I find her blood sugar is going to low, would it be better to lower the insulin dose or add more carbohydrates to her food? Right now I'm using a combo of 25 grams of dry food as that has the most carbs in it. 25 grams is less than a handful. I could in theory bump it up to 30 grams, reducing the other parts of the meal, raising the carbohydrates slightly and keep her insulin dose the same which should continue releasing glucose later in the day when her low dip occurs. But I'm no expert on that. I'll probably share the curve tomorrow morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X