Border collie Jack passed away on February 28, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jack - new to my house

We are thinking more and more that Jack could have greyhound or whippet in him. So we're going to go for the DNA test and see if we can find out. He's as tall as Chris but has a much leaner frame, especially in the waist and hips and is thin around the ribs, plus has a very long tail. Though taller than Chris, he weighs 10 pounds less.

So we will... I hope... find out. I figure it's worth the investment to know if we have a greyhound temperament or a border collie temperament.

Active X

This is a pedigreed greyhound who looks just like Jack, including the pose!

Comment

How is the whole Jack-and-the-kitties thing going? If he does have greyhound in him then a tendency to be super excited by "small furries" is going to be even stronger than other dogs, you'd think. You might find this interesting: http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1403

If he does have greyhound or a similar breeding in his background he will likely have unusually heavy muscling around his thighs and gaskins. Should be dynamite at flyball!

Alison

Comment

He chased a squirrel up a tree at the dog park this weekend and it took him a good fifteen minutes to give up on catching him... so yeah, he definitely likes chasing small furries.

I share my office with a kennel for one cat, Gus, so Jack and Gus have spent a lot of time in the same room and as long as Gus is calm Jack is calm. Katie, however, is unable so far to be calm in Jack's presence and he returns the favor.

Jack is very bright and I'm pretty sure we can teach him to leave them alone. He already sits very politely for his food and waits to be released to go to his bowl even though he's really really hungry.

He's also been going berserk when the three Jack Russells next door are out. They go nuts and he... returns the favor. I take all this as a sign that he's starting to consider this his home but will be glad when we get to a point where there is less supervision of all things furry required!

Comment

My Zac is very like this - if the other animal is calm he is but oh dear! if the other guy goes off his head Zac joins the party and meets aggression with aggression or silliness with silliness or whatever. He very much takes his cue from others - easily lead I think its called! Could be immaturity too - here's hoping..........

Alison

Comment

Two peas in a pod it sounds like. Jack is the same - he responds to aggression with aggression. Not extreme but with the cats we just can't take any chances with things getting out of control. Katie spent some time visible to him on the other side of a gate and he was pretty good about ignoring her the whole time she was calm.

I have no doubt we will get there eventually. Jack is really a smart guy and he's pretty good and learning to leave things he's told to leave.

Natalie

Comment

nat, does he have dew claws?
              Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

He doesn't. I definitely think he's gonna come back as some kind of sight hound, at least partly. Got the DNA test kit yesterday and it's going back in the mail today.

Comment

Natalie,

I remember way back on the other board, there was some info on the DNA testing. Can you possible send me something on that. I am wondering if they do that here in Canada. Would love to get the two goobers done to see exactly how much husky they have in them.

((Hugs)) to the new boy.

Comment

Hi Glenda,

I'll email you the following links too. We had both of these tests done on Chris, who turned out to be such a mixed up mutt they couldn't tell us anything about him!! But I've heard good reviews about both and know of dogs who did get results back.

Since the Heritage Breed test covers all the breeds we think are likely - border collie, greyhound, whippet, Italian greyhound - and requires just a cheek swab rather than a blood test, we are going with it with Jack.

Should be able to do it in Canada - they mail you a cheek brush that you use yourself to collect the cheek cells and then just mail it back.

Canine Heritage Breed Test (cheek swab)
                    This link takes you to the list of breeds that are covered:
                    http://www.canineheritage.com/breeds.php.

Mars Wisdom MX Panel (blood test - fairly large sample)
                    Vet must carry this test - we had to take Chris to a different vet hospital for this blood draw as our vet didn't do it.
                    http://www.whatsmydog.com/.

Also Denise sent me some information on an inexpensive one - I'm not familiar with this one -
                    "Who's Your Daddy?" DNA Breed Identification Kit
                    http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...a%20AND%20test
                    (If it comes up as page expired, just put DNA test in the Search space)

Comment

I wish you lots of luck with Jack and the cats! We dog sat last weekend for a young australian shepherd and boy did he want our cat!! We are also fostering a kitten and we kept him well protected as well. I'm sure that it was just the chase that he wanted, but again, I just wasn't sure what he would do. Sparky's family has a cat and he has scars on his face from it. It doesn't faze him - he just keeps going back for more! Why they wanted an aussie is beyond me - boy did that bugger have ENERGY! I did get lots of exercise last weekend, enjoyed our walks! But.....that's it! Back home he went!

It will be interesting to see what the results are on Jack's bloodline! How neat that we can do this at home! Jody
                      Last edited by Jody; 11-01-2008, 07:23 PM.

Comment

We are definitely making slow progress. Last night Jack stayed on one side of a gate that had pretty big spaces in it while I was on the other side with Katie. He was able to ignore her and consequently she was able to ignore him and get some attention. Jack gets the basic concept of Leave It and he doesn't try to go through or over the gates.

But we still keep them a bit more securely separated when no one is closely supervising things. Like now, there are two gates between Jack and Katie and the first one has a mesh instead of just vertical slats. They are ignoring each other, which is progress!

Natalie

Comment

Jack does not like pottying in the rain!! So Friday night through Saturday night as it poured steadily all day long was a pain in the neck! But finally today the skies cleared and his potty routine went well.

He seems to be pretty predictable about times he wants to poop - that's been the major challenge. He will pretty much pee when asked if taken outside. I'm starting to know when he's likely to have to go.

Am pondering what to use as a signal. Since he ran right through the screen door twice last week... perhaps a decal at eye level that he has to touch his nose to!

Tuesday is our first obedience class.

Comment

Niki hates to go in the rain also, so did Chief, but i had to use the "Now get going" with them or walk part outside with them, then they'd do their thing and i wait by the door. What we do for the babies.
                            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Taffy too - did not like to get her 'tootsies' wet! I would say: Hurry up......and off she'd go, and right back in! Good luck with the obedience class - they were always so much fun for us! Jody

Comment

I always thought that I would try to train my next dog with a string of bells (maybe little cat bells) hung near the door so that it would be a visual and an audible signal.
                                Jenny & Buddy
                                PS Just reminded me of a funny. I had to rush a dog named Bill to the vet after he ate a cats bell from a collar. The vet was lecturing me about leaving a collar around for him to play with and didn't stop until I told him the collar was actually on a cat at the time. The cat was fine but the collar didn't survive.
                                Last edited by BestBuddy; 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X