Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Yes that is a little weird (or a lot!) but very nice. Look, if that was me, I would be picking up hair too, nothing wrong with that, it's a connection to your beloved friend. I also hear you on the spot to find for a BG test, that took me AGES. And the lock of hair was a nice thing to do Zip-lock bag it and stash it!
    Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

As sad as it is to pick up their ashes, I have always found having them home finally forever to be very comforting. Right now, I'm surrounded by a photo of Chris as a young dog, a bead I had made in his likeness, his ID tag, and a little wooden box with a snippet of his fur in it. Pictures of him on the wall behind me, on my phone, here at the forum.

And two bottles of his insulin are still in the fridge. In a month, he will have been gone six years. Tears are rare now - not gone but rare, the memories are warmer and happier.

We grieve to the same degree that we loved...

Natalie

Comment

Yes I have definitely found it comforting having him home. That is lovely Natalie, I can picture it in my mind. Last night was just a week for me, I was a mess, I had candles lit all over and it was like a shrine, quiet sad really I had to leave the room I felt overwhelmed. But overall, after a week I feel more at ease with my decision.

Bailey is in a nice wooden box with his photo on the front and a name plate. I plan on making a nice wooden box (I am into woodworking when I can find the time!) and putting his collar, lead and hair into it. Thanks for sharing :-)

Geoff
        Last edited by Geoff; 07-05-2014, 12:07 AM.
        Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Hello Sherry and Cara, just saying hello! Hope you are both well. Very cold here in Canberra at the moment and moving house on the 1st September. Exciting but sad at the same time!

Geoff

Comment

Hi Geoff! I hope things are going ok for you. I'm actually traveling for work right now - I'm in Memphis, and when my plane landed at 5:30 this evening, it was still 90 degrees out.

It's a beautiful idea to design a box for all of Bailey's things. I was thinking about getting one of those glass display boxes myself for Sparky, though his ashes came in a beautiful wooden box - I, too, want to put his ashes, his leash, his hair, etc all together.

I'm thinking about you every day!
            Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Geoff I'm glad you are feeling more at peace with your decision, I always look for your and Cara's posts first to see how you are doing.

Laura
              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Thanks Laura, looking back you can see he was not a well pup. But I am more at ease as you say. My sister-in-law just lost her dog too, Belle. That's 3 family dogs in 2 weeks. Bentley, Bailey and Belle. Now if that ain't weird then??

And Cara, a glass case sounds lovely too. Somewhere nice to keep his items together, and much easier than making it lol! Give me a proper reason to use my tools for a change! Thinking of you too, tough times, still lighting a candle for him and talking randomly to him! I have to put away his water dish and food bowl (keeping them both of course) but he still has the water in it he drank from. I need to let that go and wash them out, darn tough though.

Comment

Well I put Bailey's bed away a few minutes ago. Very sad. We are moving house in a few weeks (6) and so tidying up as the new owners want to come through on Sat for another look to measure etc. I have washed up his bowls also. A very sad moment putting his bed away, I have wrapped in a plastic bag and will (of course!) take it with me to the new place. Anyhow, hope everyone is well as can be expected! On a side note, I still light a candle every night for him however, I have ordered some beeswax candles which I can make into tea lights as the ones I have are paraffin and apparently paraffin is bad! I am eagerly awaiting my beeswax kit, which is 100% natural and, of course, like everything that is good for you, at least 10 times as expensive as paraffin! Works out to be a $1.00 a candle for 4-5 hours burn time. Still, worth it in the long run.

Geoff
                  Last edited by Geoff; 07-16-2014, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Perhaps when making those candles, they can be named your "Bailey" candles. After Abby was gone, a few neighbors and I started a sewing club, and made handmade Professional bags, they are sewn, lined with zipper pockets, and very detailed. They are used to carry a laptop, papers...great for the office or when traveling. I made a few, for friends, relatives...and now I call them my Abby bags. My neighbor, had such great insight, to keep my hands and mind busy....not knowing what to do with my loss.

Often times, good things come from something sad.

Take care,
                    Barb
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Thanks Barb, that is a great idea and it did cross my mind! Those bags sound good too, if I wasn't in Australia I'd buy one off you as I am looking for a bag for a laptop! Someday I'll go looking for one! But yes, good to be busy and keep the mind occupied where possible. I would, oddly enough for a 41 year old man who works in IT, like to learn how to sew. It is genuinely on my to-do list, and when I move house I will be 20 mins closer to the store that runs the classes!! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
                        Thanks Barb, that is a great idea and it did cross my mind! Those bags sound good too, if I wasn't in Australia I'd buy one off you as I am looking for a bag for a laptop! Someday I'll go looking for one! But yes, good to be busy and keep the mind occupied where possible. I would, oddly enough for a 41 year old man who works in IT, like to learn how to sew. It is genuinely on my to-do list, and when I move house I will be 20 mins closer to the store that runs the classes!! :-)
                        Perhaps IT and sewing go hand in hand. I am also in IT (as a Software Consultant), and love to sew.... but not clothes. .. oh, maybe perhaps a dog coat here and there

I will be looking foward in seeing in those Bailey candles offered soon.

Barb
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

I love the idea of making candles for Bailey, and that you are keeping his spirit alive!
                          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Thanks Cara. I also see you're possibly starting a foundation! Great idea and I hope it all works out! Like the name too. Geoff

Comment

Thanks Geoff! I have no idea when I'll find time for it, but it's something I feel very strongly about after hearing about so many dogs suffering with diabetes and the complications of it. I'm hoping that it will make a difference - for even just one dog. I've seen so many different medical conditions have treatments and even cures be approved - I'm sure I can do something to help canine diabetes. Sparky would have wanted that.

Comment

Hello, just thought I would drop in to say hello. I am moving in two weeks time, it still saddens me to move from the place where I last saw Bailey. I often think "he used to lie there" or "there" etc. All my recent memories of him are here and I dread not being able to look at a spot where he used to lie or walk or play or anything really. The new house will be devoid of Bailey memories, except the ones we take with us.

There is nothing I can do about this, we are committed to move and would be crazy to stay due to memories but it still bugs me. We miss him everyday and as I look around our house I see memories of Bailey everywhere. Anyhow, I know he will be with us at the new house, but I am full of "but but but!"

Hope everyone is well, I am keeping up on most posts where I can. Nice to see you looking at puppies Cara and I'm glad you trip went well!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                                X