Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gus, the mini-schnauzer

I had missed your original post. Gentle hugs to you and Gus. xo
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Keeping you and Gus in prayer and sending hugs to you both.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Wish I had some magic answer or advice that would make everything better. I'm keeping you and Gus in my prayers.
        Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

stay strong and have hope...<3

sending my love
          Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
          Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
          Had cataract surgery June 2016.
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I'm sorry Gus is not feeling well and prayers for healing and comfort for you both.
            Dasani, Miniature Schnauzer 13 yrs old - Diagnosed Diabetic 3/21/15 - 22 pounds - 9 units Vetsulin 2X a day - Feed a mix of W/D and Solid Gold Wee Bit. Fish oil pearl supplement twice a day to help with high triglycerides.

Comment

Hoping that Gus is making a recovery and staying comfortable. You are both in my thoughts.
              Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Keep them coming because I fully believe prayers help.

Anyway, I am seeing small improvements, and any improvement is huge in my eyes. Still doesn't want to eat, except for regular milkbone. So, I am force feeding soft mushy canned food (his brother's) on roof of his mouth. He will swallow it, which is good. Also added a little pumpkin so he can get some fiber. I break up turkey meatball as well and force it. They have egg, green beans, & pumpkin in them. Anyway, we are eating that way at least for now. The new med he is on seems to help. It's Gallant (or something like that), which is new drug for arthritis. I am wondering if we might have some diabeticc neuropathy going on as well in his good leg/hip. He stands on his good rear leg with his toes bent under. I notice him licking that foot as well as the bad leg with the hip tumor. So, today, I'm going to pick up some Methyl B12 supplement to give him. I've read it really works for diabetic neuropathy and weak hind quarters. Worth a try. My question is have anyone here used it? And, if so, how many times a day? Once? How much? How long before you saw improvement, if any,in your pet.

HUGE accomplishment for my boy was that he finally had a small bowel movement this morning. It had been a week! I was so happy. And,he was able to take a few steps and knew just what he wanted to do.

So, as I said, we're making baby steps....one day at a time.
                Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
                10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

If blood sugar is high across the board that can aggravate the situation and like you said it can make arthritis pain maybe worse . You could add a fast acting insulin to get gus into a better range . If you could get half a day of adequate range would be helpful . Now this isnt about regulation its just getting through this period . Just a thought

the bowl movement is promising . My jesse did not move much for 10 days until the skys started to clear but it was along haul for her . Any improvement in appetite is also positive but be careful to not to overdo it

continued prayers for continued baby steps forward
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                    If blood sugar is high across the board that can aggravate the situation and like you said it can make arthritis pain maybe worse . You could add a fast acting insulin to get gus into a better range . If you could get half a day of adequate range would be helpful . Now this isnt about regulation its just getting through this period . Just a thought
                    Jesse Girl, his sugar was only high 24 hours and that was 4 days ago. We've been in good range last couple of days - 200's, 300's mostly. If higher, it was because he had a carb milkbone, I think, raising it. Thank goodness sugar hasn't been too much of a problem.
                    10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Thats good news and another positive sign . I think Antonia was the most proactive with B-12 but i think Hollie was one of the early people who used it on her Decker . You may want to PM them as they might not be here everyday
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Originally posted by MomofGus View Post
                        The new med he is on seems to help. It's Gallant (or something like that), which is new drug for arthritis.
                        I think the drug is Galliprant. They put my dog on it. It helped with mobility but now she won't eat.

It's hard to tell if it's the pain or the drugs but did Gus loose his appetite after you started Galliprant or before? There's not a lot of info on this drug and the side effects because it's only been out about a year. Snickers has been off of it for almost a week but still won't eat and I'm trying to find out as much as I can.

Glad things are improving for you.
                        Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Yes, it is galliprant. He started losing appetite before, but was eating. He was and is also taking deramaxx. That is when appetite left completely after couple days on that. It is hard to know if totally or partially due to the meds. I gave first dose of the methyl b12 that I got from GNC store this morning. I've read where some are seeing improvement in as early as 3 days. I know he will never walk the same because of the tumor on his hip joint, but if this helps any at all, just a little, it will be worth it.

Comment

Beaming get well energy to Gus - and relieved to hear he seems a bit better.

Natalie

Comment

• Re: Gus, the mini-schnauzer - *Angel* as of 3/7/18

My Gus became an angel during the night. I am heartbroken. It wasn't the diabetes, but the cancerous hip tumor and it's complications that took his life. It's been rough 3 weeks, with the last couple of days being the worse. My thanks to all on this forum for the knowledge and support we received during our short 2.5 year journey with diabetes. I will be sorting out the supplies I have on hand. I have several boxes of Advocate test strips, and many, many Advocate lancets, plus one Advocate meter.

Comment

Gus felt like he has been here on the forum much longer than the 2.5 years

you just found a way of talking about him that just gets into your heart and seemed to be there like an old soul

Gus will truly be missed

Comment

Working...
                                X