Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Annie is making the switch to NPH

Hi Craig!

They do learn quickly, don't they? And they don't forget a thing..LOL! I can do something with Ladybug maybe 2 or 3 times and BINGO, it suddenly becomes part of the routine whether I meant for it to be that way or not!

Dogs are a LOT smarter than we give them credit for...just wish they could talk!

Linda/Ladybug

Comment

One other thing. Her numbers have trended upwards the last several weeks. I thought it was the UTI, and maybe it was, but her numbers have stayed higher than they had been. Then it hit me, the little piglet has gained two pounds! That's about a 12% gain, so obviously needs a little more "juice" of the NPH kind.

Time to sign her up for WeightWatchers!
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Craig,
        Annie is one smart girl!
        Patty
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

Looks like Annie has joined the picky eaters club. I've had to play with her and add a little chicken the last two days. Last night, she slowly picked out the pieces of chicken and left the kibble. Finally got her to eat after adding a teaspoon of chicken stock to the kibble. Even the added chicken stock doesn't entice her this morning.

I've read other posts on the forum where the "kids" just stop eating, never thought it would happen with Annie. So, is this likely just a taste thing, or should this be a reason to contact the vet?

Maybe she heard me refer to her as "piglet" in an earlier post and is just trying to thin herself down?!
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9˝ years.

Comment

Fast update: I found a can of her old Venison & Rice in the back of the cupboard and have mixed two large tablespoons of that into her kibble. Of course for added aroma I microwaved it for 15 seconds!

She is eating it, not as fast as usual, but is at least eating. I just heard a burp from the kitchen, so that is a good sound.

Comment

Craig,
              I hope Annie goes crazy for the new food you picked up today!
              Patty
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Is my thinking correct that I should feed about ˝ the amount of BB Healthy Weight than she was getting of the Royal Canin?

BB Healthy Weight = 415 kcal/cup
                Royal Canin = 198 kcal/cup

There is a lot I'm not sure about, but I think I'll see if she will eat the BB straight, maybe softened with a tablespoon of water. Being a cheepskate, I'm upset that we have a full bag of Royal Canin!

Comment

I decided to just start with the BB recommendation of ˝ cup, twice a day, for a 16 pounder.

Here's the interesting thing. I weighed out the ˝ cup and it was 2.2 ounces. I had been giving Annie 2.5 ounces of the Royal Canin, and that was too much because she has gained weight. Guess I don't understand the kcal/cup figures (see my previous post).

Anyway, I just fed her the 2.2 ounces of BB and she seemed to like it. Ate without me playing games with her. Probably should have backed off the insulin a bit, but gave her the 8.5iu that we've been giving. I'll test her around midnight and set the alarm for around 4AM. Yea, should have made the switch in the morning instead of at 8PM.

Comment

In my experience, the bag recommendations are usually pretty high. We never fed Chris nearly as much as the bag recommended. He wasn't a very active dog so that may have been part of it.

You're right - you'd feed half as much BB to give her the same number of calories.

We found that if you kept the calorie amount the same the insulin dose generally didn't change.

Natalie

Comment

Craig - looking forward to your next numbers report!

Tue, 6 Jul 2010 01:48:52 (PDT)
                      http://www.coherentdog.org/
                      CarolW

Comment

Hi Craig

There are 415 calories in a cup of BB weight control and 460 in a cup of Royal. Hope this helps
                        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

I'll wait 2 or 3 days to do a full curve using BB Healthy Weight, or a combination of BB and Royal Canin Diabetic.

I fed her 2.2 ounces (˝ cup) of the BB last night. We got up to do a test at 4AM and it was 220. At 8AM fasting it was 131.

She ate breakfast this morning with just a little coaxing. I think she is still trying to hold out for the little piece of cooked chicken that she HAD been getting with her pill during her bout with a UTI.

BTW Peggy, the Royal Canin website says the Diabetic Formula HF has 198Kcal/cup. You might have been looking at a different version?

Comment

Yes I was looking at the regular adult dog food. Those are good numbers you are getting though with the BB
                            Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Looks like I'll back off the NPH about ˝iu to 8iu with the BB Healthy Weight.

4PM = 102
                              6PM = 63, gave a small snack and will see at 8PM feeding

So, the BB Healthy Weight looks to require less NPH than the Royal Canin Diabetic Formula. The Royal Canin has much more fiber (a good thing), so I'm thinking about mixing the two.

Comment

You could try adding canned pumpkin for fiber. Just a thought!

It does look as though the Blue Buffalo foods are great for lots of diabetic dogs! - or, certain ones of them, anyway! The foods, that is!

Tue, 6 Jul 2010 19:00:26 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X