Pinkie Rest In Peace 6/8/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinkie Rest In Peace 6/8/17

My dog Pinkie was diagnosed with diabetes on Friday, 2/24 with a glucose level of 302 mg/dL ((78-115 mg/dL). I was referred by the k9 cushings forum since Pinkie was diagnosed with Cushing's in July 2016 (borderline). She started medication on January 2017 (further low and high dex test, ultrasound, ACTH confirmed that her cortisol levels were increasing) and I was really surprised since her previous glucose level was 99 mg/dL. I thought Pinkie was exhibiting side effects from the trilostane with trembling back legs and lethargy, but it ended up being diabetes.

The IMS recommended one unit of insulin twice daily and also AM urine testing using strips. How do you capture the urine to ensure that it gets on the strip? I was unsuccessful twice in trying to get the urine on the strip since she is a small dog (8.5 pounds) and I am kneeling on the grass and holding the strip underneath her as she pees.

She is scheduled for a glucose curve test next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Diabetes Diagnosis - Cushing's side effect

Hi: my dog Jenny had both diseases too. I'd get a disposable aluminum pan at the grocery, slide it under her when she urinated, and dip the strip in it later

You really should consider trying to test pinkie's blood sugar using blood since you are dealing with cushings too.

After the cushings meds started to bring my dog's cortisol levels down, her insulin needs reduced drastically. Your pinkie isn't on much insulin now anyway and that my be why.

good luck!
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

That is a great idea. Pinkie also has hypothyroidism so it is a triple whammy. She is on thyroxine 1/2 tabs twice daily, vetoryl 5 mg daily and now insulin twice a day.

I am so encouraged to hear that your precious one lived for 3 1/2 with Cushing's and diabetes. Pinkie is nine years old and I want to make her senior years as comfortable as possible. We had to give up volunteering at the hospital since she was diagnosed with Cushing's in July. She has volunteered for eight years as a therapy dog so it is time for her to take it easy.

It looks like Alpha Trak is the meter to get.

Thank you!!
      Last edited by pinkie; 03-03-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

8 years as a therapy dog, that is great! keep us posted on how she is doing
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I received my Alpha Trak today, but not sure if I should start the glucose curve test tomorrow since Pinkie is scheduled for a glucose curve test at the vet's on Thursday. I am thinking it may be good to get a comparison. Should I just test fasting BG and urine strips for now or go ahead and do a glucose curve test to get an idea of her levels? Also, how often should we test? Diet change or change in behavior? So sorry for so many questions. Thank you.
          Last edited by pinkie; 03-03-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

i might do a couple tests here and there before food and insulin is always a good idea and maybe at hour 6 after insulin

comparing a meter is a good idea i always like to do it against a lab analyzer but some vets dont have that and i am not sure if vets check there handhelds for accuracy so if its done that way you would just be comparing to there meter so take that with a grain of salt

i would compare with the whole curve if they would do that

happy testing
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you!! Will start testing tomorrow and watched videos posted on this site. It looks like inside the lip may be the easiest for a small dog.

Comment

Pinkie would not go for the inner lip testing, so I had to resort to the carpal pad and I was able to take several tests. The levels ranged from 345 to 602 mg/dL over the weekend. I have a call to the IMS regarding her BG levels. She is currently on one unit twice daily of vetsulin. I can probably discuss with the IMS when Pinkie is scheduled for a glucose curve test on Thursday. I am not sure if the thyroid and Cushing's medications are interfering with the insulin.

Also, should I include low glycemic carbs to her diet? She is currently on a raw food diet with leafy greens (75% protein/25% greens). I read on site that sweet potatoes and carrots are good, but I thought sweet potatoes and carrots have high sugar content.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkie View Post
                  Pinkie would not go for the inner lip testing, so I had to resort to the carpal pad and I was able to take several tests. The levels ranged from 345 to 602 mg/dL over the weekend. I have a call to the IMS regarding her BG levels. She is currently on one unit twice daily of vetsulin. I can probably discuss with the IMS when Pinkie is scheduled for a glucose curve test on Thursday. I am not sure if the thyroid and Cushing's medications are interfering with the insulin.

Also, should I include low glycemic carbs to her diet? She is currently on a raw food diet with leafy greens (75% protein/25% greens). I read on site that sweet potatoes and carrots are good, but I thought sweet potatoes and carrots have high sugar content.

Thank you.
                  Good job with the testing! My dog is also hypothyroid and the thyroxine does not interfere with insulin. As a matter of fact it is necessary to give thyroxine to get the insulin to work properly. Glad you are working with an IMS. They are usually very knowledgeable concerning diabetes and hypothyroidism.

It's just a matter of time before you get to the proper insulin dose. Getting a 345 reading shows that the insulin is working. With Pinkie being such a small dog the IMS will probably want small .5 unit increases based on her curves until the proper dose is reached.

Let us know how the next curve goes
                  Last edited by MikeMurphy; 03-06-2017, 05:26 PM.
                  Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                  Diabetes: Aug 2013
                  Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                  Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

just like the thyroid meds, once the cushings meds start lowering her cortisol, her insulin needs will reduce. Seems like it takes 4-5 weeks to see this

good job on testing!

Comment

Jesse has sweet potato yams . sounds like a similar diet as my jesse
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I talked to the IMS last night and he recommended increasing the insulin to two units twice daily. He also recommended that the glucose curve test be postponed until next week with the new dose. I will let you know the results.

Thank you everyone for the input!!

Comment

Here are the results of the BG curve: 7 AM 640, 9 AM 467, 11 AM 450 and 1 PM 546. They stopped after 1 PM since the levels were consistently high. Rather than raising the insulin at this time, the IMS recommended increasing vetoryl dosage to 5 mg twice a day. I am worried about the vetoryl dosage since Pinkie has lost weight and is currently at 8 pounds. She is scheduled for an ACTH test in ten days and another BG curve afterwards.

Comment

yes it does look like the you have some resistance to insulin but that maybe just because its not enough insulin or like your vet seems to speculate which maybe the crushings

i can understand your vets reluctance to raise the dose if you plan on raising the cushings meds

Comment

Hi there...I am new to this forum as well, my baby was diagnosed with both Cushings and Diabetes on March 1st. She is also on Vetoryl (20 mg a day) and has become very lethargic since starting it (hind leg weakness as well)...I assumed she is just going through withdrawal because of the decrease in Cortisol, or maybe her dosage is too high? She is also on 3 units of Novolin twice a day. But after reading your post is it possible the lethargy is from her high glucose values? (She had curve last Thursday they were at 600). Sammi has always been so healthy and now at 13 she is getting hit hard by these two illnesses...I need some words of encouragement...I will do anything I can so she can feel better. Thanks
                              Sammi - DOB 3/10/04 - 13 years old - Pekingese-Chihuahua - 19 lbs (was 22 on 3/1/17 date of dx) - diagnosed with both Cushings/Diabetes - currently on 3 units of Novolin-N 2x/day - had been on Vetoryl 20mg a day but stopped 2 days ago at vet's due to possible adverse side effects.

Comment

Working...
                              X