• Show
Clear All

• Re: Poll: How and Where you test your dog's blood sugar

Where you test on your dog: Her ear
    Lances used (brand, gauge): Advocate
    Whether you use a lancing device: yes
    Lancing device brand, model: Advocate
    Setting of the lancing device: 4 - 5
    Meter you use: Advocate (and sometimes my Ultra Touch which always runs -10 under)
    Winnie - 25 lb poodle mix - diagnosed 12/1/17 - on 6 units Vetsulin 2x/day - Blue Buffalo Grain Free Chicken dry & wet mixed with 2 tbls. oatmeal - home test with Advocate meter

Comment

Spanky get tested on his ears using the AlphaTrak 2 system and lancet. We alternate the ears tested each time. He is very cooperative and not bothered by the poking.

Comment

I just found the AlphaTrak 2 for $53 on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-B...=alpha+track+2

Comment

I came across this academic study from Europe where they used FreeStyle Libre (designed for humans) on dogs to see how well it would work in monitoring their glucose levels throughout the day. The study surprisingly found the tool to be very accurate and useful. They actually recommend using it. Did anyone try this?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...jvim.14355/pdf

Comment

Thank you! That was a very interesting article. I wonder if the US will ever use these? It seems less invasive than how we test now, especially when we do a curve! I'll have to ask my vet about this. Did you ask your vet about it?

Comment

i test Levi's lip. I cant get ear blood. I use my meter...Bayer Contour next USB or my freestyle libre meter thats goes with my sensors.
              Levi is a 71 lb Smooth Coat Border Collie X, born Apr 26, 2006. Retired Service Dog. Diabetes: Feb 2018
              Insulin: Lantus - Meter: Bayer Contour uSB

Comment

After using the lancet should there be or scab or mark or does that mean I should change to a lower setting?

Comment

I test Romeo on his butt, rotating sides. I shave the area, use sock with beans heated to warm the area, and use Genteel lancing device which uses a slight vacuum to get the drop. On days I do the blood curve I use a different lancet on his ears, adding them into the rotation. I put a flashlight behind the ear so I can see the blood vessels easier since he is so tiny.the flashlight has a flat surface,not the standard flashlight.
                  Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

PS when he was first diagnosed vet put Freestyle Libre sensor on him. It was not accurate, 50 or more points higher than blood test. And it irritated him so much he kept wiggling on his back til he got it off. No more.
                    Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

I collect blood from one of the ears.Also lancet pen doesn’t work for me so I just use lancets.

I have to use a light to see the veins.
                      Shining a light on transparent parts of ear show veins good enough to poke with a lance.

YouTube videos help tremendously.

Comment

I tested my Pippi on her carpal pads on the back of her front legs. I alternated back and forth in different places. I would lay her on her back across my lap and she would stay in that postion until I said "Ok". She was such a good girl! After I used the lancet and got her blood glucose reading, I would always put antibiotic ointment on her pad (the kind that had pain reliever in it).

Comment

I used a 21 Gauge lancet. The lancet device I got with my PetTest broke, so I got a human one (Relion) at Walmart as the PetTest Lancets were Universal. From what I understand, human lancets that are smaller than 21 gauge don't work very well on dogs.

Comment

I use the calluses on my dog's elbows. She doesn't mind it and I always get as much or as little blood as I need. I need more for the Prodigy and less for the Alphatrak. I use the Freestyle lancing device, setting #2, 28 gauge lancets.
                            Last edited by Zoology1603; 10-10-2022, 05:00 AM.
                            Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Comment

Working...
                            X