Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:26 PM

Default My Pebbles just diagnosed so scared

Hello,

My adorable 8 yr old cockapoo Pebbles was drinking lots of water the last few days. I took urine sample to her Vet, they then did blood test. Dr called me last night that she is diabetic. I am heartbroken, sad, scared and feeling very guilty. We see him on Monday to discuss whatís next. I am overwhelmed and canít stop crying. I have so many questions: is it certain she will go blind? Can I save her vision? Is cataract surgery an option? What will her quality of life be like with all of the pokes Iíll have to do? Thank you for your support, I feel so alone.

Carla
Old 01-01-2022, 07:49 AM

Default Re: My Pebbles just diagnosed so scared

welcome Carla and your Pebbles.

starting insulin, doing weekly curves will definately save any organ damage. start a daily log.

getting into a routine will become the norm after awhile.

on Monday speak to the vet about hometesting Pebbles.

how much does she way?
what food and amount?
type of insulin and amount?

my dog was diagnosed at 12 and had a good quality of life till he was 17 and passed of old age.

it gets better Carla, you can do this. were here if you need any help.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:37 PM

Thank you for your encouraging words. The Vet did tell me that he will teach me to do at home testing so he can do curves? This is all so new to me. My Pebbles will be 8 yrs old this Tuesday, she is a Cockapoo and weighs 14.9 lbs. I will post after her appointment on Monday with more info and likely more questions. Please pray for me and my little one.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Hi Carla!

You will be okay! Take a look at the main website for general information.

Blindness is common but not guaranteed. It depends in part on how long heís had diabetes before being diagnosed. They can have started earlier if heís had it a while.

Dogs are really resilient to blood sugar and regulation doesnít have to be perfect for them to live normal lives.

Iím on my phone right now, will write more later.

Natalie
Old 01-02-2022, 12:25 AM
Administrator

So to answer some of your questions,

Most dogs don't mind the injections at all. Main exceptions being Min Pins, who are notorious for being uncooperative, and dachsunds! LOL

The last three years our dog was on four injections a day and they didn't bother him a bit. I calculated once how many injections he got in a year - 4 a day x 365 days a year is 1,460! We also tested his blood sugar at home daily so we poked his lip every day too. That sounds awful but actually they don't have many nerve endings in their lips so tolerate getting a tiny blood sample there well.

Cataract surgery is an option so long as there aren't other problems with their eyes. Expensive. Our dog was not a good candidate as he had other eye problems. He was blind most of his time as a diabetic and people who met him just thought he had pretty blue eyes... He waded in the river on a long lead, went on walks every day, navigated the house and yard, sometimes intentionally, sometimes using the pinball approach. And traveled with us 2,400 miles round trip with us giving him his meals and injections in the back of our SUV and going potty outside motels.

Dogs are incredibly resilient creatures who take life one day at a time. Plus their sense of smell is more akin to our sense of vision. They take in a lot of information through their noses. So most don't react to losing their vision the way people do.

I hope he doesn't get cataracts, but if he does, know it can be okay and he can be happy and have fun and enjoy life.

There is quite a bit of information at the main website, http://www.k9diabetes.com, including videos of people testing their dogs' blood sugar at home - couple of small dogs that you can check out. And information on insulins, blood sugar testing, cataracts, injections...

This first part is the hard part. Probably doesn't seem like it's possible now but you get to a point where meals and injections are about as nerve wracking as brushing your teeth or making the bed - just a normal part of your day.

Natalie
Old 01-02-2022, 12:52 AM

Thank you Natalie! I am anxiously and nervously looking forward to her appointment on Monday. I want to start her treatment to avoid any further damage.
Old 01-22-2022, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Just checking in on you two - hope things are going well.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:41 PM

Smile Re: My Pebbles just diagnosed so scared

Hi Carla!

First I want to say you are absolutely not alone. My Maggie (8 year old yorkie 17 lbs) was diagnosed about the same timeframe of yours and I did not take it well at all. Cried so much, called into work, and defeated because I couldnít immediately fix it. This forum has helped so much in the short amount of time Iíve been apart of it. we can get through this together

Sending Lots of love and prayers for you and your sweet baby! Remember to give yourself some grace during this challenging time! It will get better! Diabetes is a trial and error process until itís not. Then the regulation will be just a normal part of your day. )

Warm regards,
Katie