Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion and Personality Change After Abdominocentesis

Hello All,

I'm new here. My Bella is a 14 1/2 year old diabetic Border Collie Mix. We're not 100% positive of breed because she was dumped in a ditch as a puppy, and found by our son.

2 years ago, Bella was diagnosed as diabetic. We've managed it well, but approx 2 weeks ago, her abdomen started to swell, and fairly quickly it looked like she had swallowed a basketball. She was still in good spirits, still eating, and still wanting to go on her beloved walks, but was obviously uncomfortable. Monday we took her to the vet and they drained her abdomen. (They drained 1.5 liters, and I'm sure at least another half liter drained in the next 12 hours or so.) The vet feels she either has a heart condition or a tumor somewhere. (She mentioned the liver)

Today is Thursday, and since the abdominocentesis, Bella seems very confused and dejected. Her face and eyes don't look the same. She's kind of mopey. She had some mild symptoms of sundowners before the procedure, but now she wanders around the house all night, is very restless, and stares off into space. I feel we lost her the day of the abdominocentesis.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it normal? Will she bounce back? I just don't know what to think at this point. Thank you.

~Lisa

Re: Confusion and Personality Change After Abdominocentesis

hi Lisa and Bella
    i havent had this probem but my Riles did have a benign lump removed from his stomach.
    did the vet give you any meds for pain or nausea after the surgery?
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Hi and welcome

My jesse is 16.5 years old and has been diabetic for 11 years . She also had epilepsy for most of her life except the last 4 where she went into remission for some reason but I think the loss of hearing could play a part because loud sounds like fireworks could trigger a seizure

She has cognitive issues which I contribute to a lifetime of epilepsy . The restlessness is a common symptom for jesse . You would think being an older gal she would sleep a lot but no except for bedtime which she does pretty good but she has her moments . She has to wear a diaper as she goes when she has to and wont hold it as she is a bit confused from going outside and inside . She circles . She still goes on a walk and eats well but she gets a bit lost on occasion

Shes not what she was chasing rabbits but thats the nature of life and getting older . Tumors and cancer are the go to diagnosis for vets when they aren't sure whats going on . For my jesse she is a hospice girl . I will not interfere with the natural process but I also won't euthanize her until she is ready . I go with her schedule on that and more than likely that will be the path as her body is healthy its the mind that is declining . She is still jesse and seems fine in the world of being old .

I kind of get into a dogs mode and live in the moment . I dont look back at what she was and what she could be in the future . We just live for today and thats all we really have in life
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you for the replies, and sorry for the delayed response. Since my post, our Bella went completely blind in less than 2 days, and her abdomen is quickly filling with fluid again.

We have decided it's her time to cross over. Lap of Love is coming tomorrow at 3 pm est. Please think of us at that time. My heart is completely shattered and I can't stop the tears. My prayers are with all of you and your fur babies. Thank you for allowing me into your group, even if it was for a brief time. Take care.

~Lisa

Comment

I'm so sorry. Big hugs to you and your girl. Judi
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you, Judi.

Comment

Me and Jesses heart goes out to you and your furbaby . I have figured jesse has been with me longer than any single other companion I have had in my life and spend time with . IT's really not hard for them to go . Its hard for the loved ones that remain especially when they have been with you so long . You do what you do out of love and that love never goes away .
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you, Jesse Girl.

Comment

Sorry for your lose, I'm sure Bella knows you did everything to help her.

Comment

Working...
                  X