Help with Mocca's levemir dose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Levemir?

Hope pups parents will continue your diligence, for pups sake..
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Thanks folks for all the replies and apologies to this threads OP for somewhat highjacking the thread but I tried to start a thread of my own at first and was denied so had to piggyback on an existing thread in my haste to get info. NOTE: Administrator seems to have segregated posts related to Mocca into their own thread after original postings

We're not too interested in dog sitting again for any extended period but can't help but think if our daughter had a neighbor dog sit her following the instructions given that Mocca would not be here now. We'll be having a discussion with the daughter and family when she gets back.
      Last edited by moccasgrampa; 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Mocca BG at 2 PM was 20.9 / 376, again, not too bad but still high, will check again before dinner feeding & injection I think, then again before bed.

When I said one last question in post 15 I lied! Mocca is given small Milkbone biscuits at home (how many per day I don't know) and 1/2 a biscuit as a treat here after getting perforated for a blood sample or getting an injection. I just looked at the ingredients list & breakdown on the box. What are opinions on these for diabetic dogs? Obviously anything in moderation is a general rule, but what about this particular biscuit specifically?

edit: my concern about the milkbone biscuits related to 18 kcal rating per biscuit, which I have now clarifed with respect to Calorie, whew.
        Last edited by moccasgrampa; 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM.

Comment

most biscuit type treats are high in carbs, so they'll raise blood sugar. Biscuit type treats are usually made from wheat or grains or potatoes as a main ingredient.
          I only give biscuits if he is getting low as he approaches nadir time.

Lots of good treats out there that are low or no carb.
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Re: Help with Mocca's levemir dose

One last post for continuity sake, mostly for others reading this thread searching for helpful info like we did when first coming here in a somewhat desperate frenzied search.

Tuesday morning BG was 27.2 / 489, too high for comfort (I think we gave her 7 units at dinner time last night). She was given 9 units Levemir one hour ahead of breakfast. BG at 2PM was 23.2 / 417 and at 7PM was 15.3 / 275, nice! She was then given 7 units and dinner.

We handed Mocca back Tuesday night and discussed her situation with the following 'highlights':

- Mocca was tried on a canine insulin at first but has been on Levemir for quite a while
            - daughter says hubby gives Mocca too many 'treats' necessitating a higher insulin dose so his knuckles need to be whacked
            - resetting the BG meter code setting when changing insulin was overlooked so she was basing dosage on falsely high readings but that has now been corrected
            - dosage in the 7-9 units seems to be a sweet spot (he says hopefully, lol)

My blood pressure hasn't come down yet from this rollercoaster ride, but I sincerely thank all responders for their comments. I'm sure you all recall your initial anxiety when starting to deal with this.
            Last edited by moccasgrampa; 11-22-2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

well you accomplished allot in a short amount of time and i commend you but its out of your hands now . it can be an easy disease to ignore and be complacent

its a shame because its not difficult to manage for the most part and regulation does not need to be even close to normal blood sugar for dogs . just being consistent in what you do is 90 percent of the battle
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Just be careful giving insulin before a meal, in case the dog decides not to eat.
                And if hubby can't resist giving treats, buy treats that are not carbs, like freeze dried liver or chicken.
                Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I would really be interested in reading your posts with experiences regarding Levemir (insulin detemir)
                  Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
                  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

Working...
                  X