Belle - Recently Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belle - Recently Diagnosed

Hey everyone! First time poster here. Our belle girl was recently diagnosed with diabetes on 5/30/2021. She is lab/husky mix that weighs 80lbs. The vet started her on 14 units of Vetsulin and it has increased every 10 days up the where we are today, 20 units. The biggest worry that we have is that she is going to be insulin resistant, which I am unsure what the next steps would be or if there would be anything that could be done for her. Below are her curves from 6/30 and also today 7/12.

Just looking for some input on how we are progressing because her numbers did increase quite a bit between the two curves. From what I have read on here, it seems we are still at a pretty conservative amount of units compared to her weight.

6/30 - 18 Units of Vetsulin
    7am = 366
    8am = meal + 1st dose of insulin
    9am = 391
    11am = 393
    1pm = 354
    3pm = 349
    5pm = 320
    7pm = 321
    7:45 = 308
    8pm = meal + 2nd dose of insulin
    9pm = 396

7/12 - 20 Units of Vetsulin
    7am = 491
    8am = meal + 1st dose of insulin
    9am = 439
    11am = 425
    12:10-12:48 = 1.75 mile walk
    1pm = 335
    3pm = 379
    5pm = 359
    7pm = 467
    7:45 = 430
    8pm = meal + 2nd dose of insulin
    9pm = 477

Re: Belle - Recently Diagnosed

welcome to you and Bella

can u post the first curve done to compare

looks like youve missed Bellas number, try dropping back 1/2 unit at a time.check with your vet.

it looks like theres a big jump by 2 units 18 to 20 for the raise.

second blood sugar rises in cushing dogs. ask your vet

third overfeeding raises blood sugar. test after feeding inject when bg is over 200

how many calories and what food r feeding?

are you home testing Bella?

your doing great
    Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 07-14-2021, 01:57 PM.
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I would say that the 18 and 20 units of insulin had roughly the same effect on her blood sugar. The differences aren't remarkable.

And 20 units is a quite small dose for an 80 pound dog.

I think the dose should continue to be increased by 1 or 2 units until the low numbers drop into the low 200s.

You always base dose on the lowest blood sugar, not the highest.

The really good news is that she currently is getting pretty much perfect duration of the insulin over 12 hours. Her starting and ending numbers are similar so she isn't losing ground because the insulin runs out early.

She currently has a consistent, classic bowl shaped curve. As the dose gets closer to the right amount, you could see its shape change. As it is now, you could test occasionally at the time of day her blood sugar usually is lowest when not doing a curve just to make sure it hasn't started to go too low.

Congrats on your careful monitoring so far!

If she's a typical husky, she needs exercise. That will have to be timed careful so it does not coincide with her lowest blood sugar levels.

Exercise of any kind and especially energetic exercise, almost always drops blood sugar, sometimes quite rapidly. I always carried syrup on our walks as our dog's blood sugar, which was fairly tightly controlled, went low a few times.

Natalie

Comment

Welcome!

I'm also seeing the need for an insulin increase, carefully working your way up.
        As the numbers begin to come down even more you will be safer to increase by a single unit, even a half unit at a time so not to pass over the correct dose.

With my Mildred if she was already in a higher range exercise would actually send her even higher, something to monitor and be aware of.
        The timing of that exercise also being important.

Good job getting these curves run!
        Be sure to fall into a routine of testing all fastings on a daily basis as well as spot checks.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Working...
        X