Little Bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help needed- 40U to 50U conversion

Vetsulin was off the market for years so I never buy the argument that Novolin is not effective for dogs. Vetsulin had issues and just within the past couple of years has come back on the market. For a very long time, there was no real choice but NPH and most of us like it better. My vet never liked Vetsulin from the beginning so my dog was never on it. Then, it was pulled from the shelves for instability. Dogs have done fine on NPH for many years but I am sure the vet would rather have you buy Vetsulin from them
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

If Amy & I haven't given you a headache yet, let me add this.

If you look at your vial of Vetsulin, it will say it contains 400 units. The same physical size vial of Novolin-N will contain 1000 units. So, we get 2.5 times the amount of insulin, for probably ½ the cost. Hard to pass up such a good deal!

Craig
      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thanks for the all the info..appreciate it

Didn't have any luck giving him the shot though. I've read a few people saying these small needles are actually worse for their dogs(I've heard this about humans as well). I'm not sure if that's the case yet for mine, but the second I inserted the needle I had to stop due to his reaction, so that's not good. Not sure what I'm going to do. I've seen all the videos..suggestions..etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
          If Amy & I haven't given you a headache yet, let me add this.

If you look at your vial of Vetsulin, it will say it contains 400 units. The same physical size vial of Novolin-N will contain 1000 units. So, we get 2.5 times the amount of insulin, for probably ½ the cost. Hard to pass up such a good deal!

Craig
          I took some Tylenol 15 mins ago

Comment

First off, are you warming the syringe before injecting? Sometimes cold insulin stings. Try taking the syringe after you have drawn up the insulin and holding it under your arm for 10-15 seconds.
            Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Yep..had it nice and warm. Did just try again and only got half the dose in. The videos etc are a bit irritating to watch. I even see comments after the vids- thanks! I'll have to try that! Hardly anyone comes back to say it worked for them. Yes, it'd be a nice if I had a dog that just walked up to me for his shot..or didn't put up a fuss with just feeling around the area he's going to get a shot at.

His first 2 shots..one at the vet and one at home were ok. The next one he started acting up. Then it worked the first 2 times I did it when he was at the tail-end of eating his food..but even then he was looking back and forth at what I was doing. Ever since he doesn't put up with the tenting..and even if he does it's a struggle to get him to stay still enough for a shot.

I've got that Inject-Ease device but I'll need to get a different brand of syringes it looks like. But I can't see that changing anything- may make it a tad bit easier for me but not for him.

Comment

I used to give Sparky a tiny, tiny little bit of peanut butter after every injection and test (literally about the size of 2 grains of rice). He thought the peanut butter was fabulous and totally worth the injection. You could try giving him a tiny little treat every time you tent, and just keep practicing. I know it's a really hard situation to be in :-(
                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Dutch, now that you've made some posts in this thread, how would you like one of the moderators to change the title of your thread to "Little Bear" or something else? Just post here what you would like.

We generally keep everything about a pup in a single thread so that it's easy to look back at the pup's history. Most read everyone's threads / posts so it's like a big family.

Craig
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I have never tented - way too awkward for me to pull off. I actually injected my hand trying to do the tenting thing. My friends are convinced I just wanted an excuse to eat some chocolate but no, it was not something I want to do again ever. I wish I had videos of me testing and giving shots in the beginning. You guys would be rolling on the floor at how awkward I was. Don't bother tenting. I just pull up some skin and inject at the bottom. Keep it simple. It gets easier I promise.

You can practice holding and handling the syringe - maybe inject some fruit to practice. It will make you more comfortable. Also, I would take a syringe and just handle it around him - maybe touching him with it(lid on) so he will get used to being handled.

Some people put their dogs in the sink or in their lap(or kinda wedge them where they can't escape) and inject wiggly dogs. Maybe they will chime in. I never had a dog who resisted much - I just was so nervous. I always knew I wouldn't want to be a nurse. A little treat may help too.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Cara- yeah, I've tried the treat route which also worked a few times. Now he either shows no interest in them once he knows what I'm doing or it just doesn't help. Even had someone hold his favorite chew or treat in their hands so he would be sniffing it and trying to get it out of the hand. Worked once..but now if I attempt the shot- forget it. Same for having someone help hold him. Worked at first.

Craig- How about Little Unbearable? But yeah..Little Bear is fine.

Amy- stupid question..what is the difference between tenting and lifting the skin? I'm assuming you mean you just lift a little bit compared to making it look like you're trying to reach the ceiling. I've stuck myself when giving my friend a shot..not fun. She used the pen with the nano needles- gave her shots for 2+ years so I'm not afraid of needles or giving shots. Did put Little Bear on a table today and at first I thought it was going to work. Nooooooooooope.

Where's that dang insulin pill I read about years ago?

Comment

I get down on my knees, with Annie facing me. I pull up some skin, usually above the front legs, and using a short 8mm needle, jab pretty much straight down into the pulled (tented) skin (avoid injecting into your fingers!) I know most literature says to inject at an angle, but I inject straight into the top of the "tent". I'm thinking the 8mm length needle gets the insulin to just about the right place. Works for us, others do it differently.

Because dogs can sense when we are nervous, I try to hide my nervousness by talking, humming or singing!

Craig

Comment

I think the difference is tenting is more of a technique to insure that you are getting the shot in the correct area. I just found trying to form a tent was awkward and Maggie wasn't happy about it. I literally just use her sides, grab some skin, pull it up and inject it at the bottom (that should get insulin where it needs to be). The only stupid questions here are the ones you don't ask. We have seen and heard it all and most of us have made a few mistakes which are "valuable learning experiences".

Keep trying - it won't be long until you are a pro at it. It takes time.

Comment

Re: Little Bear

When we were using the long needles (U-40 syringe) with Vetsulin we had some interesting injections. Like Amy, I poked my finger once, but didn't push the plunger. Then there were several times, because I was trying to inject into the side of the tented skin, when the needle went straight through and I squirted the insulin over her back. Hard to believe that was 7+ years ago.

Craig

Comment

Amy- when you say "her sides"...do you mean anywhere along the sides or are you referring to side of the neck or along the bottom of the stomach etc?

Appreciate everyone's replies..gonna try to get some sleep and pray that tomorrow Little Bear has amnesia on this issue.

Comment

Wondering if you are planning to try home blood testing? Something else to have fun with!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X