hind leg weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: hind leg weakness

During the day, up to supper, i can get his sugar down to a respectable level. But then overnite, seems like the insulin doesn't do anything. He starts off good at supper, has a normal rise after eating (bedtime), but then continues to rise with no drop; virtually no nadir, no bowl shape at all. So hence, he's high at breakfast.

I've slightly increased his dose, trying to stay consistent, but the curve shape is so different during the day vs overnight.
    That's typical with periodontal issues, from what I've read. Insulin resistance. Which might make it hard to find a safe dose increase, because resistance will be different every day I suspect.

And a new thing, not sure if it's related, last 2 days he's been very mopey, doesn't raise his head up, keeps it level with his shoulders/back and looks up at me with just his eyes. And he's reluctant to go up or down steps. Pain? and from what?
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

hey Ray, oh happy spring

i had Riles teeth cleaned at 15. i got a bad smell from his mouth and tooth discoloured but thought it was his dry dog food.

he did have teeth removed as they were causing an infection and took antibiotics and pain killers for abit afterwards.

mo
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Placing importance on the shape of a curve and nadir is not really important in k9 diabeties . The lowest number can be at the 12 hour mark before food and insulin and it can be the high point .

From what I determined with my Jesse is is she started higher she ended lower and if lower it was higher which to me made sense . If insulin had more sugar to work with it would remove the excess amount of less it may utilize stored sugar to keep from going to low . The body has to work with what it's got

We don't know the levels your talking about . High for one maybe normal for another . Numbers in the 400s or higher may not feel good . Big swings in sugar of 200 points or more may not feel good

You have to figure what you want to do . You can give a fast acting insulin as a temporary action if available to you to buy time on your decision . Which seems like 2 choices . Have the dental work done and see if you have improvement or try to regulate with your present situation

Have you tested for ketones .How is appetite and stools ?
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
        X