New member Earl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New member Earl

I see it says I can’t post attachments and maybe that’s a new member restriction?
    I’ll read through forum rules and maybe it’ll make requirements for posting pictures clear.

Comment

They do make supplements designed for a homemade diet . Jesse has had a homemade diet for her 10 year diabetic experience . I added some commercial supplements sometime ago but ended doing that . The only thing I add now is powdered eggshells for calcium . My jesse gets a bit of canned mackerel with her meal. You are what you eat Members have posted pictures but I am not sure how to do that on a post but you can on your user page and create an avatar of your pup .

Many dogs do get diabetic cataracts and the only thing that can slow that down is better blood sugar . Your vet can easily identify cataracts if they are developing .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
        hi Rob
        just wanted to mention theres a hammock that dog groomers and diabetic dog owners use to inject and test.
        its hung on 4 poles then cloth attach cutting 4 holes for their legs.
        you could make one.
        just put Earl in it and test inject
        I ordered a grooming hammock and I am very confident it will work.

It’ll take some time getting him used to it so I’ll make go slow and plenty of praises.
        I’m glad you posted about hammock.

Comment

i.ve only seen dogs in them. it will be fun lining up there legs for the holes.
          i just tried to upload a pic. pics need to be 500 x 500 or less. maybe u can edit the pic
          i.d really like to see Earl
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
            i.ve only seen dogs in them. it will be fun lining up there legs for the holes.
            i just tried to upload a pic. pics need to be 500 x 500 or less. maybe u can edit the pic
            i.d really like to see Earl
            I was able to use hammock and give Earl his shot this morning.

He has short legs but once in hammock and tucking in the right areas he was relaxed but a bit exited too.
            I was going to wait before introducing shot but the clamp made a very nice tent,I poked, and got in medicine.
            I have a picture of Earl as you profile picture but it’s not showing up.
            I’ll take a look and see if I can get it to display.
            If you click on my profile it shows a picture of Earl.

The weather and virus made getting hammock and a table built take longer than I expected but it’s done and has solved my problem giving a shot with one hand only.

Comment

Robs Earl

hey Rob
              so glad you got it to work. makes life alot easier
              i see Earl in you avatar soooo handsome!

now you can do a curve with Earl getting used to his hammock.
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

It’s been a while and Earl is doing great.
                His last two tests were 120 and 140.
                He now jumps up on his chair after meals so I can pick him up and put him in hammock for injections.
                It’s been about 3 months and it’s now gotten extremely better and no more worries about getting medicine in Earl safely and less painful.

The hammock works great and Earl likes the massages,treats, and back scratching when he is up there.I use a small clamp to pinch skin for tent and I can give shot one handed.

I am thinking about dry prescription food but it is made from bi products which I think can cause problems later on.
                They basically make it out of what they throw away for humans.
                I may try some heart and liver meats from local butcher.

Comment

Glad everything has settle down for you and Earl . Sounds like regulation is good also . Keep up the good work

Congrats !
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

hi Rob

thanks for updating on you and your Earl.

sooo glad the hammock is working so good.!!!!!

Comment

Hi Rob and Earl,

Not been on the site lately, see your story. Fine to read things are going better. In the beginning I got the seringes from the vet. The needles where 11 mm long. Now I buy them on internet BD U40 8mm long needle. For my dog it works fine. I also use vetsulin.
                      I also used the Freestyle libre sensor. You can look at that on Youtube. Search at: Freestyle libre sensor dog. It's a device for people but also used on dogs and cats. You can read my post when you search my name Annemieke in the line above using the Search button.

A hugg for Earl and thumbs up for you
                      Bart is a Small Münsterlander, born 07-2011, 21 kg
                      Diabetes: okt 2019 Insulin: Vetsulin morning 6.5 and evening 6 units
                      Meter: Freestyle reader and Accucheck
                      Diet: Raw meat with 25% vegetables

Comment

Originally posted by Rob3ddd View Post
                        I was able to use hammock and give Earl his shot this morning.

He has short legs but once in hammock and tucking in the right areas he was relaxed but a bit exited too.
                        I was going to wait before introducing shot but the clamp made a very nice tent,I poked, and got in medicine.
                        I have a picture of Earl as you profile picture but it’s not showing up.
                        I’ll take a look and see if I can get it to display.
                        If you click on my profile it shows a picture of Earl.

The weather and virus made getting hammock and a table built take longer than I expected but it’s done and has solved my problem giving a shot with one hand only.

hi Rod

how is Earl doing?

theres a new member Aneng with a newly diabetic pug that could use your help.in getting a hammock please

Comment

It’s been a while since I’ve posted.
                          The c-virus hit shortly after Earl was diagnosed and injections started.
                          Earl according to the vet is stable and after going every week,then 2 weeks,month now it’s every 6 months and he just had his 6 month blood test.
                          His blood sugar has been 120-135 very consistently and his dose 6 units 2 times a day with meals.
                          Injections are just part of his daily feeding time and he now jumps on his comes right to me for his injections.
                          Using a hammock was my solution and using a table helped.
                          I only hang his feet a few inches off table top and then in about 30 seconds he is done.
                          I haven’t bent one needle since using hammock or had any leaks of lost insulin.

The vet says everything is great but I’ve been noticing Earl eye sight isn’t what it once was.

His eyesight was fine when he was diagnosed but in the past few months I have noticed him running into things at night.
                          It seems to happen more after meals unless I’m mistaken.
                          Is it common for diabetic dogs to have eye sight problems after getting blood sugar under control?
                          Side effects of insulin or diabetes even if under control?

The hammock I will check my email and see where I got it,but it definitely works and I haven’t bent one needle since using hammock and I only have use of one hand.
                          I use some big plastic clips with soft rubber feet I made on tips so no discomfort but they don’t slip and make a tent.
                          I have some pictures I can post of how these clamps work and I have a few already.
                          Last edited by Rob3ddd; 12-16-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Here’s a picture of the clips I made and use.
                            I used the rubber that sticks on dashboard of cars for sticking cell phones on so it’s soft and doesn’t slip.
                            I can’t post pictures unless I use a url?
                            Is there a place to upload pictures on the post itself?
                            I will be glad to help anyway I can.
                            Last edited by Rob3ddd; 12-16-2021, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob3ddd View Post
                              Here’s a picture of the clips I made and use.
                              I used the rubber that sticks on dashboard of cars for sticking cell phones on so it’s soft and doesn’t slip.
                              I can’t post pictures unless I use a url?
                              Is there a place to upload pictures on the post itself?
                              I will be glad to help anyway I can.

I used Ryan pet supply to get hammock.
                              Its okay and overbuilt but better than under built and falling apart.
                              It definitely works to keep dog from turning around or moving and after a while they feel comfortable by it’s wrapped around feeling.

Comment

hey Rob

great update .thanks for the hammock info. it will help alot of dogs.

glad Earl is doing better, continue doing bg checks to catch a low reading. if it does go low recheck it. do curves frequently

some dogs go blind some dont. dogs regulated under 200 at the beginning of their diagnosis do fairly well then some dont. each dog is different.

i didnt move any furniture. called out Bump when he was in trouble. Riles did really well blind it was remarkable.

you doing great Rob!! keep checking maybe see an ophthamologist.

Comment

Working...
                                X