Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Merry Christmas! New Lucy photo

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Got a photo of Lucy from David & Connie. She's looking really well!

Lucy is such a special girl. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her, her forever family and the folks here and elsewhere who helped save her life.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Merry Christmas! New Lucy photo

Rick!!!! What a wonderful surprise to see you AND Lucy here today!!! I miss you here at the forum. How's fostering going?

And Lucy... Wow, she does look absolutely GREAT. Trim, fit, and happy!

Maybe I will go track down her thread so people can read her story and how YOU are the one who did the real work of saving her life.

Natalie
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator

If you'd like to see what was happening with Lucy three years ago... Wow, it's hard to believe it was that long ago..., here's her thread in the Diabetes forum:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2159

I confess I still dream about putting a certain backyard breeding operation out of business...

Natalie
Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 PM

She was looking a bit chubby there awhile back but she looks absolutely fabulous now. Even has a girlish waist.

She got another growth on the tip of her other ear awhile back & they had to take off the tip. So now they match!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
I confess I still dream about putting a certain backyard breeding operation out of business...

Natalie
You & Glynda both. DoG help that "person" if the three of you were ever in a room alone!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM

Arrow Re: Merry Christmas! New Lucy photo

Thanks for coming back and updating us on Lucy, Rick! Love that picture! Welcomd back! Thriiled that Lucy is doing so well! - but not surprised!

Hugs,
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:38:49 (PST)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

She does look fabulous, Rick! Thanks for the great pic

Hope you had a Merry Christmas. So great to hear from you!
Patty
Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 PM

Wow! Amazing story and SO happy for Lucy! What a great dog she so obviously is! I do so love happy ending stories!

What HAD happened to her in her previous life? Was she used as a breeder? Just breaks my heart to think of what these babies endure before we get them!

Thank you to everyone who helped with Lucy! You are all angels, you know! Hugs!!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Lucy was a breeder dog for a backyard operation selling cattle dogs and some toy mixes. When she became diabetic - and therefore not only no longer able to be used to produce puppies but also might make their breeding program look bad - the owners put an ad up on CraigsList offering her up to anyone who would take her and threatening to euthanize her when the bottle of insulin ran out if she didn't find a new home.

The ad originally claimed they couldn't afford to treat her. Then the owner was contacted by email by a rescuer and he claimed he was a single father of two young children and couldn't take care of her.

Eventually the information wound up in front of me and I called him on the phone to see if they would keep Lucy if some financial aid was offered because it is very difficult to adopt out a diabetic dog. At the time, I didn't know that they were backyard breeders - something they never admitted - but the picture of Lucy in a pretty serious looking kennel got people concerned and it didn't take long to find their website with pictures of Lucy and her puppies.

So I talk to this guy on the phone, who claims to be a struggling single father, and there's an adult woman talking back and forth with him in the background making it clear money isn't the issue and that this is her decision as much as his - she's not just some visitor. He was not, in fact, single at all. They stammered around when I suggested that we could provide some financial support for her and then came up with a new excuse - they travel constantly, never home, can't give her two shots a day. Well, it was already clear from the noise in the background that the story about his having kids was true. I'm thinking two kids elementary school age and you all are never home? Yeah right.

It all made sense once we found out she was a breeding female for their puppy business. She was no good to them any more and they wanted her gone.

Would they really have euthanized her? I don't know. But it wasn't a chance we wanted to take so a group of people from here and from the Cushing's forum pooled our resources and rescued her.

The key to the whole thing coming together was Rick.

Because without someplace for her to stay, we never could have pulled her out of that home. There were lots of us who could donate to food, insulin, syringes... but she had to have a foster home and none of us could provide that. The whole thing would have fallen through if Rick hadn't stepped up and taken her in.

He picked her up from the couple - something I would not have been allowed to do because I would hurt someone... he taught her to sit for injections and nail trims, loved her up and fell in love with her, arranged for her spay, and took her to adoption events, where she met Dave and Connie, her forever home.

Lucy has been through coyote attacks, a fire, and being dumped for having diabetes. I'm so happpy that the second half of her life is in such beloved care.

Natalie
Old 12-30-2011, 03:29 PM

A wonderful story. So glad that Lucy has a forever home, and from people who truly love her for what she is.

All of you are amazing!