New Diagnosis :( Our Saga & Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Diagnosis :( Our Saga & Questions

This is my first ever experience dealing with a dog with diabetes. Daisy (my beloved "soul dog" is a 13 year old female rat terrier).

She was diagnosed Jan. 24 when I took her in to the vet due to obvious weight loss, excessive thirst and urination. Her blood glucose was too high to register on the machine Vet started her on 6 units of Vetsulin twice a day. And I brought her back the following afternoon after two injections and glucose as 363. He upped to the dosage to 8 units and by Monday it was 318, so he increased dosage to 9 units and said to come back in a week. At next visit is was 236. Dosage kept at 9 units and come back in a week. At that visit, however, her glucose read as a 74? so he lowered it back to 8 and yesterday after another week, it only read 58!! So he's again lowered it to 6 units in the evening and 7 in the morning.

She has, by the way, put weight back on starting almost immediately and has gained about 4 lbs in a little less than a month - which she desperately needed.

These latest reading are being taken at the vet's office late in the afternoon (4 pm) at his request. I was given to understand that because I give her shots at 6 am and 6 pm that at 4 pm, one would expect her levels would be on the increase? Or do I have that wrong? The assistants said it wasn't too low and to just observe for signs that she might need a dose of Karo syrup to get her blood sugar up (which I'm not home M-F to do regardless during the day).

Sorry for the long post, if you read it all and have any insight I'd be grateful. Is this somewhat "normal"? Is it perhaps due to being more controlled and leveling out as opposed to when she was first diagnosed?

She has also seemed to have lost most her eyesight (cataracts) and most of her hearing. I love this little girl so much and this is all a bit overwhelming. Especially giving the injections, but that's probably a whole 'nother post!

Re: New Diagnosis Our Saga & Questions

I'm not surprised you hit some low blood sugar - that's an awfully large dose for a rat terrier - I would say too large unless she was a really big terrier. AND those increase were far too rapid. Your vet's approach scares me!

Our 60 pound diabetic dog used a relatively small dose but it was only about 8 units on something like Vetsulin.

I wouldn't be surprised if, after she's been on insulin awhile and her body gets used to having it again, she will need less than that.

Blood sugar of 74 and 58 is quite low - could have been much lower at other times. I get low blood sugar unrelated to diabetes and am very uncomfortable when my blood sugar is in the 50s.

How much does she weigh now?

A safe starting dose is 1/5 to 1/4 unit per pound at most.

So I'd like to see her blood sugar back up somewhat - low 300s or 200s and have you slowly adjust the dose over a month or two as her body gets used to have sugar and insulin again.

Take a look at the main website for additional information: www.k9diabetes.com

Natalie

Comment

It appears you are only making one test before making dose adjustments which also is a dangerous approach as Natalie sugested . Blood sugar can be quite different at any time of the day and it can be substantially different like 100s of points . My jesse when first diagnosed could be 500 in the afternoon and 70 a few hours after her shot . That is why we use complete curves ( a test at shot time and every 2 hours till next shot time some do 24 hours ) to regulate a dog

I would recommend testing blood sugar at home
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

If you are up to it, you might consider home testing. It is easier on the dog and you can get a better idea of how your dog is doing at different times. Not every dog experiences lows according to the “book” and lows are the more dangerous aspect of diabetes. Our standard joke was our dogs don’t read the books - they are all individuals.

My Jack Russell was about 12 lbs and she was only on 2.5 units most of the time. She was grossly overdosed in the beginning by a vet who was checking her once instead of doing a curve. She was on 9 units. She almost died after her blood sugar bottomed out. It was scary but it caused me to take charge of her care. Might be worth your while to test at home.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
        X