Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM

Default Re: New member looking for advice

Finally yes. She should of started on at least 9 units.

Ruling out symogi
I dont see insulin resistants Bella just started on tooo low of a dose and is now levelling out her curves.
Fyi:
Upping insulin 2 units at a time
Last up lowest bg dropped 78
So upping to 14 with lowest number at 371 should be in the safe zone next curve 293.
No changes. Nothing added
But bg could drop by 100 a unit then 2 units is 200 might be 371_200 giving Bella a 171
Keep this in mind . You are thinking out of the box..good.

Keep checking ketones

Please post her food and how much thanks?

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 05-03-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Founding Member

the only other reason that I am aware of besides Cushing's is a thyroid problem that can cause resistance to insulin but your not there yet . Its been suggested that total resistance is one unit per pound but I would not be comfortable giving that much insulin

I would not see a problem giving 22 to 25 units if thats what it takes for a 38lb dog

Its great your seeing progress . Now be careful with numbers going lower and resistance broken . Blood sugar can take a big jump lower unpredictably

Once in the 200s you would like to slow things down a bit . Maybe letting an insulin dose settle for a bit longer and make smaller dosing adjustments with not more than a unit . This is where you begin to make fine adjustments

Remember the goal is not to get to what normal blood sugar levels look like . 100 to 250 is adequate and where my jesse was at for a time but the last few years she has been between 100 to 150 .

hope to see continued progress
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 05-06-2021, 03:45 PM

Did a spot check today at Bella's usual blood glucose low, at she's down to 273! Never thought I'd be so happy about such a thing

We'll do another curve this weekend, but things are looking up overall. Thanks to you guys - I probably wouldn't have had the courage to make a bigger jump in the insulin otherwise.

Now the immediate concern has become her eye - she's totally blind and the one eye is looking like more like glaucoma vs. cataracts with uveitis (as vet suspected). She has an ophthalmologist appointment May 19th which is the earliest around.

Wondering if anyone else's pup has had glaucoma and what your experience was? From what I'm reading there's almost no chance of regaining vision, but I'm unsure how much of an emergency it is, what if anything I should be doing right now to help, etc. It doesn't seem to bother her much, no pawing or blinking, but she has bumped it a few times and yelps.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellandanny View Post
Did a spot check today at Bella's usual blood glucose low, at she's down to 273! Never thought I'd be so happy about such a thing

We'll do another curve this weekend, but things are looking up overall. Thanks to you guys - I probably wouldn't have had the courage to make a bigger jump in the insulin otherwise.

Now the immediate concern has become her eye - she's totally blind and the one eye is looking like more like glaucoma vs. cataracts with uveitis (as vet suspected). She has an ophthalmologist appointment May 19th which is the earliest around.

Wondering if anyone else's pup has had glaucoma and what your experience was? From what I'm reading there's almost no chance of regaining vision, but I'm unsure how much of an emergency it is, what if anything I should be doing right now to help, etc. It doesn't seem to bother her much, no pawing or blinking, but she has bumped it a few times and yelps.
Glad Bella,s blood sugar is improving. Please post her curve results.
Theres a device called protective Halo for blind dogs you can inquire, there on amazon.

Fyi

Personally i didnt and wouldnt advise a 2 unit increase. Seeing that you already jumped up by 2 i gave you information to avoid an overdose.
Please check test bg after food and wait till bg is over 200 until you inject 14 units
Old 05-07-2021, 07:28 AM
Founding Member

the eye problems can get serious from what I have seen on the forum . The worse case scenario would be the eye needing to be removed . Drops will be prescribed to reduce pressures . You have to keep a watchful eye on any pain increase

Its good news that blood sugar is improving . It sounds like you may need to slow things down . The eye problems could be causing the need for more insulin so when thats taken care of you may need to drop the dose a bit but thats why we test blood sugar at home . keep up the good work
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Old 05-09-2021, 05:17 PM

Well, Bella's latest curve is disappointing. We went from 14 units (that curve posted earlier, the low point was 371), to 15 units:

10:00am: High
01:00pm: High
03:00pm: 488
05:00pm: 525

Didn't have enough test strips to do all day, but captured the usual low hours. More strips on the way and next curve will be complete.

This is all the more confusing since as mentioned, 2 days ago I tested her at 3pm and she was at 273.

Is it normal to be so up and down like this? Could feeding her about 200 calories more per day (she's put on a couple needed pounds) make a difference? Going on, then off Prednisone steroid eye drops (they didn't seem to helping, but perhaps were keeping an unseen infection at bay)?

I'm assuming the vet will say to bump her to 16 units and test again in a week. Sound like a good plan?
Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 AM

Thanks for posting the wkend curve
There doesnt seem to be a hole lot of diffence from the curve you posted on 4. Units!

Please. Post

Food, amount?
Treats
Medical conditions

Is Bella spade?
Old 05-10-2021, 06:00 PM

Yeah, it was a disappointing result this week. She seems to be feeling okay and drinking less however.

I think we'll put her back on the Prednisone eye drops, in case that was handling infection (she was on that when she had the good numbers week). From what I read infection can cause blood glucose numbers to rise?

My only other thought is that there may be inconsistency in the Vetsulin - this last result was right after opening a fresh vial. Will try a new vial for the next curve.

Or possibly what they call atypical Cushings, for which the best advice I've seen is a safe combo of lignans and melatonin. We'll try that if the eye drops and new Vetsulin don't lower her numbers back.

And fyi she's eating a mix of Ketona dry food and Purina one grain free chicken wet, about 500 calories per meal. We settled on this mainly because she eats it, whereas she had no appetite for the prescription wet or dry. She eating a few Ella's diabetic dog treat per day.

Also, hadn't mentioned, but she's on 37.5mg Carprovet NSAID with each meal. Her vet initially prescribed this for arthritis, and says to keep on it even tho she's not limping at all anymore (likely improvement from weight loss and less activity).

She is spayed, and hasn't tested positive for anything other than diabetes. We haven't done an ultrasound, which is about the only thing left to do.

Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2021, 09:28 PM

Check bg frequently if your adding back in the prednisone. Bg can drop.

I wouldnt advice raising the insulin until you least try tweeking the food or and changing insulin.

Check her weight. Is 500 calories the right amount for her weight. Try to be consistent with food ..itsjust as important as insulin.

How many callories is the dog treats?

Try switching to novolin insulin ..its more stable. Because is concentrated starting dose minimum. Not 14 units.

Keep testing after food. Check for that low which will happen when the infectiin is gone. Inject only over 200.

First try tweeking the food. Feed according to manufacturers feed guide.

I.d like to see a bg test. 1 1/2 hours after foood please. To see how food is meeting up with insulin.

Heres a link to feed guide. Looks like. 2 cups a day or 900 calories for 38 lbs.

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritio...t-amount-32905

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 05-10-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:38 AM
Founding Member

They say steroids' can create higher sugar when used but if it reduces inflation then that could help with blood sugar . Its a up and down process . It took jesse about 6 months to get her somewhat consistent and a year to establish her routine for the long haul which has been 11 years . The eye problems could be having an affect on blood sugar and the prednisone may have helped with that

If the eye problems you described are real that could affect blood sugar so getting that check out and solving that is the priority