My sweet boy has passed... Jan 30, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I feel like giving up

I visit him every day. It breaks my heart to see him like this each day. He looks comfy but weak, but this could be because he's under a lot of pain meds. I just don't know why they won't be able to get him to eat.

Comment

I had a dog who was diabetic and later on diagnosed with pancreatitis and hypothyroidism. His diabetes went uncontrolled for months until we discovered and treated the hypothyroidism.

The sugar in the urine can make diabetic dogs prone to urinary tract infections - and any type of infection can cause insulin resistance in a diabetic.

Dogs who suffer from undiagnosed hypothyroidism may have high levels of triglycerides and high cholesterol values (high lipids). High lipid levels can make a dog prone to pancreatitis. Hypothyroidism can also impact many other systems and can cause significant insulin resistance in a diabetic dog.

Pancreatitis can cause insulin resistance in a diabetic dog.

I say all of this because your dog has a lot going on right now - and he may simply need time for his system to slowly recover.

Has he had blood work done recently? How are his thyroid levels? What are his current triglyceride and cholesterol values (are they lowering with thyroid medication)?

Typically diabetic dogs get two meals a day - one before each injection. However, dogs with pancreatitis may be an exception - as they may require smaller, more frequent meals, to allow their system to slowly recover. They may also require a low fat, bland diet for a time while they recover, and as they show progress of recovering they can be transitioned over a period of time back to their regular dog food. Has the vet offered any pain medication for the pancreatitis? What antibiotic is he on for the UTI (some antibiotic medications can cause stomach upset)? What dose of thyroid medication is he on?

There have been several labs / lab mixes on this forum that have seen rear leg weakness and many have recovered with time. Both hypothyroidism and diabetes can contribute to the rear leg weakness.

Given all your dog has going on - it would be ideal to try to test his blood glucose on a regular basis - as things like his food intake, his UTI resolving, pancreatitis resolving, etc... will all impact his blood glucose levels and his insulin needs. I understand you feel that is not an option for you to do (thank you for being upfront & honest) - but maybe you could minimally purchase some ketostix to check his urine for glucose and ketones: http://diabetesindogs.wikia.com/wiki/Urine_testing_stix

It's not an easy road to travel - but you've been a great advocate for him thus far and if you can get him over these initial obstacles, hopefully his health will improve to where you'll know for sure he's still willing to fight.
      Last edited by momofdecker; 01-30-2018, 10:13 AM.
      Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Just adding - if you are able to bring him home, and the rear legs are still a concern - there are some harness options out there that can help tremendously. I had a 70 pound senior dog who had a case of vestibular - and the help em up harness was a true life saver for my back as he was not able to bear any weight on any leg for a couple of days.

Here is a link to a video on the harness (you can find many varieties of it on Amazon):
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yZUNEiSHE
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

You mention he's on many pain meds. That, even in humans, can diminish your appetite and make you lose weight. Maybe try and get it down to one, like Tramadol, which isn't so hard on his system.
          That combined with being at home might change his appetite.

Read about some dog meds in this link, check the side effects.

https://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedaily...ain-dogs-31653
          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhattodo View Post
            I visit him every day. It breaks my heart to see him like this each day. He looks comfy but weak, but this could be because he's under a lot of pain meds. I just don't know why they won't be able to get him to eat.
            this is where i made the decision to try . jesse was extremely weak but she was present and almost was in her own kind of bliss . thats what told me she wanted to stay

you have to tune out the vet for and against just the 2 of you . i sat on the floor with jesse . i still remember that look she gave me her eyes were semi closed but she had a smile on her face . i said ok lets do it and try
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

you are in such a tough boat. We have seen some dogs recover from the back leg weakness but it wasn't done quickly

He must feel so rotten to not want to eat
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

He passed away last night after fighting so hard for 5 days and nights at intensive care. They did everything they could to save him but he had too many complications and too many things hitting him all at once and he couldn't handle it anymore. I will miss him forever and I will never get over with the fact that he's gone at such a young age (7). He was the most beautiful dog in the world.

Comment

I'm just so sorry. My heart breaks for you.
                  Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
                  10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss...<3
                    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
                    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
                    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
                    On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

you did all you could and your pup knows that . the pain and fight is over
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss. You obviously loved him very much and did everything you could to make his life better.
                        Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss...
                          Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhattodo View Post
                            He passed away last night after fighting so hard for 5 days and nights at intensive care. They did everything they could to save him but he had too many complications and too many things hitting him all at once and he couldn't handle it anymore. I will miss him forever and I will never get over with the fact that he's gone at such a young age (7). He was the most beautiful dog in the world.
                            I'm so sorry. At least you were visiting him in intensive care and he doesn't hurt anymore.
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

No doubt he knows you did all you could - I’m so very sorry for your loss.

Comment

So very sorry for your loss. You did all you could humanly do. He is now pain free and never will have to suffer. Wishing you some comfort and peace. I know it is one of the worst times but time does heal.
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X