Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: New member Earl

I have never really tented as prescribed . I just grab some skin from her hind quarters maybe 6 inches from the base of the tail ,on either side of the spine . I pull it up using my thumb and index finger and inject into the raised skin . Now I use very short needles so they dont pass through the other side . Walmart has u-100 syringes of different sizes and NPH insulin with usually not needing a prescription . I think it was $ 24 for insulin ( that lasts jesse for almost 3 months ) and $ 12 for a 100 syringes that I only use one a day for multiple shots and never had a problem .

Not sure if you suggested that your vet has done complete curves ( a test first thing in the morning and every 2 hours until you vet office closes . People who test and do curves at home may go 24 hours ) . One test if thats all that is being done only gets one moment in time and blood sugar can be quite different from one part of the day to another . A dose adjustment is based on the lowest number in a curve . Say you had 120 at 8am and 400 at 4 pm . There isnt much room to lower the dose with that 120 if at all . So you have to figure ways to get the curve more balanced and flatter . Flatten the curve as they say here on the forum .

So you can inject in any place you can pull some loose skin and some places are less sensitive than others . Like I said I use the hind quarters . Its ok to experiment and vets dont have all the answers . For me I have become the foremost expert of my jesse's diabetes and I feel that has helped her live with disease for almost 11 years where her vet at the time said it would be at most 3 years and it would not be very pleasant . We figure things out with the challenges we may have to get the job done to give our pups a happy normal life with some limitations .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 02-09-2021, 02:20 PM

hi Rob
just wanted to mention theres a hammock that dog groomers and diabetic dog owners use to inject and test.
its hung on 4 poles then cloth attach cutting 4 holes for their legs.
you could make one.
just put Earl in it and test inject
Old 02-09-2021, 08:22 PM

I think I can improve the clamp Iíve been using.
Itís similar to a chip bag clip but if thereís enough loose skin it makes a nice mound.More like a Twinkie shape and I have poked parallel to the body and he didnít seem to feel it and the plunger went in very smoothly.
Iíll post a picture and show how it works on myself and maybe someone will have ideas.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:38 PM

I few questions I have and thanks for the suggestions.
The grooming hammock is a good idea.
I have noticed that sometimes the plunger feels like it doesnít want to push in easily as it should so I did a repoke and it glided in easy.
If plunger feels like it has too much resistance is that a sign you could be in a muscle?
Also Earl started having an odor like something was wrong with diet.
Not from him necessarily but lingering in house.
I started giving him small amounts of salmon and two days the odor is gone.
It was a slight fecal odor Iíve smelled in dog kennel but Earl has never smelled like that.
Could the salmon have gave him something he was needing?
2-3 weeks on rice,chicken and cauliflower is likely missing needed supplement or minerals??
Earls eyes donít seem the same at times but he didnít sleep good last night because water was slightly running to avoid freezing up.
Maybe he is just tired today?
My sister noticed it also and said his eyes look just like her dog did that also had diabetes??
Old 02-09-2021, 10:05 PM

Hereís a few pictures.
One is Earl and the clamp is on the tricep area.
I donít see any way to post pictures.
Unless Iím missing something I canít find any attachment or picture loading menus.
Is there a way to post pictures?
Old 02-09-2021, 10:15 PM

I see it says I canít post attachments and maybe thatís a new member restriction?
Iíll read through forum rules and maybe itíll make requirements for posting pictures clear.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:01 AM
Founding Member

They do make supplements designed for a homemade diet . Jesse has had a homemade diet for her 10 year diabetic experience . I added some commercial supplements sometime ago but ended doing that . The only thing I add now is powdered eggshells for calcium . My jesse gets a bit of canned mackerel with her meal. You are what you eat Members have posted pictures but I am not sure how to do that on a post but you can on your user page and create an avatar of your pup .

Many dogs do get diabetic cataracts and the only thing that can slow that down is better blood sugar . Your vet can easily identify cataracts if they are developing .
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 02-11-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
hi Rob
just wanted to mention theres a hammock that dog groomers and diabetic dog owners use to inject and test.
its hung on 4 poles then cloth attach cutting 4 holes for their legs.
you could make one.
just put Earl in it and test inject
I ordered a grooming hammock and I am very confident it will work.

Itíll take some time getting him used to it so Iíll make go slow and plenty of praises.
Iím glad you posted about hammock.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:36 AM

i.ve only seen dogs in them. it will be fun lining up there legs for the holes.
i just tried to upload a pic. pics need to be 500 x 500 or less. maybe u can edit the pic
i.d really like to see Earl
Old 02-25-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
i.ve only seen dogs in them. it will be fun lining up there legs for the holes.
i just tried to upload a pic. pics need to be 500 x 500 or less. maybe u can edit the pic
i.d really like to see Earl
I was able to use hammock and give Earl his shot this morning.

He has short legs but once in hammock and tucking in the right areas he was relaxed but a bit exited too.
I was going to wait before introducing shot but the clamp made a very nice tent,I poked, and got in medicine.
I have a picture of Earl as you profile picture but it’s not showing up.
I’ll take a look and see if I can get it to display.
If you click on my profile it shows a picture of Earl.

The weather and virus made getting hammock and a table built take longer than I expected but it’s done and has solved my problem giving a shot with one hand only.