Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Newbie needing help

I fed Max about an hour ago and he was Hi (over 500). I just checked it again and it's still Hi. I've got a feeling that's why the AlphaTrack isn't working as the Er1 means it's over 500... Yep, I used the new bottle and rolled it per her instructions. Will continue with this curve from the Libre, send it to Dr. P tomorrow and pray she lets me up his insulin...
Donna
Old 08-31-2021, 03:45 PM

it would be a good idea to get some urine test strips. dip it in his urine. it.ll at least show if he has ketones. sensors dont read properly in lower and higher numbers. his could be happening. i.d be using a hand held meter as soon as possible
Old 08-31-2021, 04:14 PM

I'll do that, but keep in mind this is the vet that charged me $65 to tell me there was no way this dog is diabetic, this spring upon a visual. As of August 8, he didn't have ketoacidosis.

Donna
Old 08-31-2021, 05:11 PM

Ok, venting here, but I've had two Cushing's dogs, an EPI dog and an Addisonian dog - I know the endocrine system pretty well! She treated me like a simpleton... I didn't much like that... He's down to 467 2.5 hours after feeing and insulin. I'd LOVE to find a new vet, but that isn't an option as the pandemic has created a lack of them...
Donna
Old 08-31-2021, 05:41 PM

I've been to this practice for over 40 years. All the vets there that I've trusted and loved are retired...
This new wave of vets after the pandemic, when everyone adopted a dog, is insane!
We spent over 6 hours at an emergency vet just to check my GSD in...
And another 6 hours the next day because my vet called in sick..
Folks, for those of you who have children, veterinary medicine is the way to go!!! I'm pushing it on my grandkids! LOL

Donna
Old 09-01-2021, 02:19 PM

I did a curve today and as I expected, zero difference in numbers on the new bottle of insulin...

Donna
Old 09-01-2021, 08:55 PM
Founding Member

You could make the switch to nph insulin and usually you can buy it from walmart for about $25 without a prescription with syringes and go it alone without a vets supervision which is what I did with my Jesse after a couple weeks . I had come to the conclusion a general approach to k9 diabetes doesnt work that well and especially for challenging ones like my jesse was.

Its really not that complicated as long as you don't react to single numbers and do your weekly curves and adjust the dose on the lowest number within that curve
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 09-02-2021, 11:47 AM

The vet finally called me back and agreed to let me up his Vetsulin to 6 units. We agreed to check back on Tuesday and if the numbers haven't gone down, we will do an LDDST next week. I'll keep you posted.

Donna
Old 09-04-2021, 02:44 PM

I don't know what happened to my last post, but am reposting. For the first time since early August, Max went below 200 at 9:00 AM. He's since been over 500 as it was short lived for maybe an hour and a half...
He's fed at 5:30 AM followed by 6 units of vetsuline. By 9:00 AM he was in the hight 400's. What does this mean?
Old 09-04-2021, 03:49 PM

usually we ask people to retest the low number to be accuratebut you cant do that because your using a sensor.

now do you see their not accurate

this means you need to at least double check with a hand held glucose meter.

it also means he might be getting too much food

also cushings is a possibility

you can pick one up at the pharmacy, some lancets and strips. the One touch is a good one.

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 09-04-2021 at 03:52 PM.