Cataract surgery? Romeo update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help for Romeo

The shape of the curve isn't too bad, looks like you just need a dose increase. Then another curve and repeat.

Don't worry too much about when nadir is, every dog is different. My dog has had 3 different nadir times and curve patterns. However, I looked at the average during the 12 hours and adjusted, or was satisfied, based on that.

My dog's sugar ended at about where he started, meaning if his morning fasting is 7.0, his supper fasting is about the same. Your dog looks similar, so just get the whole range down with small increases.
    Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

I would say the UTI is probably more of the problem then blood sugar

It takes time . Many would be happy to just have a pee problem early in the diagnosis . My jesse was terribly sick for a long time

Remember the only thing that truly helps diabetic dogs is injected insulin and if anyone says otherwise is not giving good advice
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I am ecstatic! With your advice of putting him back on his regular kibble (which I have now done 100% instead of half high protein), and the resolution of his UTI with the antibiotics plus the cranberry supplement someone here mentioned, Romeo has turned a corner. No pee accidents for two days, blood sugar so far today 268 fasting, and 175 two hours later. I will do a complete curve today but couldn’t wait to thank everyone who gave me advice. Especially about the food. He did zoomies again today for first time in months! God bless everyone here. My heart is full of gratitude.
        Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

Thats wonderful news. Keep up the good work
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

❤️❤️❤️. That’s great!
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I was a bit hasty in celebrating. His numbers looked great all morning. 256, 175, 227 two hours apart. At 2:00 went up to 417, 4pm 447 , 6:45 426 fasting. Insulin at 7. He’s down to 353 at 8:45 and two hours later 302. At least he’s not doing a nosedive into nadir at two hour mark. Overall average 325 for the day. Which is better than last weeks curve to be sure and at least I saw a glimmer of hope this morning. It is slow but for the first time I believe it is possible to stabilize him. Just will take a lot of time and patience. I’d really like to know why his insulin does not seem to last more than 5 hours. Except he did wake up in 200s this morning so it seemed to work overnight just fine. Is there a longer acting? I was told vetsulin was the longer acting choice.

I’m also wondering how much his state of mind has to do with it. He’s very highstrung as all toy poodles are. I went out shopping at noon and left him a couple of hours. Did he get anxious? If he did would that be enough to raise his sugar?

Deb
              Romeo, toy poodle dx diabetic Feb 2019. Natural Balance L.I.D. Sweet Potato Bison, Whole Life freeze dried turkey snacks. Vetsulin 2.5 units every 12 hrs. Ocu-Glo supplement. Dry eyes: Tacrolimus 1.0 (max dose available) 3x day and Diclofenac drops 2x day, along with Genteel gel lubricant at least 3-4 x/day.

Comment

You will see ups and downs for romeos diabetic life . As you said attitude can affect blood sugar . Just about everything does

If romeo is feeling better your on the right path . Dont get caught up to much in the numbers from day to day

The most important thing for me and jesse is avoiding a hypoglycemic event

Comment

His insulin may be lasting, and it does weaken as the day goes on, but it may just be that the dose is just not enough. If there's room to increase and keep sugars in a safe range for the first 6 hours, then the next six hours will be lower also. Then those numbers won't seem like it's running out, they'll be relative to the first six hours numbers. Then the average comes down.

This is the tweaking and manipulation that is achieving regulation. It took me 2 years! So believe it is possible.
                  Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thanks so much. We will continue to tweek. I’m experimenting with putting the plunger between the half mark and 2. Your comment that it took two years was helpful. Patience!
                    Deb

Comment

Just an update on Romeo. I found a vet internist I really love. She is working with me to fune tune insulin. Since he is still losing weight (though it has slowed down significantly since your recommendations to take him off high protein kibble, he has lost 2.2 lbs off his tiny body since Feb), she has me feeding him a bit more while we will also increase his insulin to 2 units in am and keep at 1.5 in pm. But she isn’t having me change everything all at once, we will start with food first. This morning he was 296 and the average of Sunday’s blood curve was 292, so he’s doing much better. One thing a bit off, which she rechecked yesterday (don’t have results from yesterday yet) was that his white blood cell count was down. She said it could have been the UTI infection or it could be autoimmune. My other vet knew of this and never mentioned or rechecked it. So I think I’ve landed in a good place finally as far as vets go. That means a lot.

Comment

A vet who will work with you is huge. Hope things continue to get better for Romeo
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hello to you and your Romeo
                          Glad you found a vet that your happy with.
                          I just wanted to tell you that freezedried dog treats manufactured internationally, to be specific those from China and Thailand contain salmonella,
                          Antibiotic residues, and deadly melamine toxic for dogs.
                          Please check the manufactures ingredients of the freezedried turkey treats!!

Your doing great.
                          Good regulation is 250 for the most part of the day
                          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Thanks I will check.
                            Deb

Comment

The brand is Whole Life, made and sourced in US. I also checked the all turkey jerky, also made in US.

Comment

Glad you found a good vet - it is really a relief to have a knowledgeable and reliable source. Sounds like things are going well!
                                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                                X