Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:05 PM

Default Re: New member looking for advice

Yes thats it. Its made by abbott. Turn off the meter sound in settings. Use lancets without the device
Freestyle lite strips work with alphatrack their cheaper

Mention the 3 foods and amount to your new vet
Progress today eh!
Thankyou

Just got my moderna vacc. Its very strong.

Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 05-23-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:11 PM
Founding Member

I have used the inner lip for the last 11 years with great success No discomfort for her and she would give me a kiss after on occasion Silly girl . I dont test her very much at her extended age now but once in a while I will give her a poke but mostly I just watch how she is doing . So much different from her early days of testing her maybe 10 times a day . For most of her diabetic life after she became regulated ( in my opinion as regulation can be different depending on the dog ) I mostly just tested her before each shot as once you give it you cant take it back so I wanted to know what blood sugar was before if I needed to make an adjustment depending on blood sugar level . 99% of the time there was no adjustment needed but early on i may need to give her a sugar boost as she could drop quite a bit after shot . Now she is on such a lower dose and she gets 3 of them the odds of her going low is quite slim so I don't worry like I did back in the good old days haha .

You have a good attitude and your looking for answers to improve your dogs regulation . Most people who want to put the work into it will have success at getting their dog adequately regulated where diabetes is not a problem anymore
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021
Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM

Hi all, just another update. No new curves yet, but Bella had an ultrasound and internist consultation today. It seems she has some unknown lump in there that's likely causing the diabetes and/or affecting regulation. The internist said it's likely either a cyst affecting the pancreas and therefore messing with insulin production, or a tumor from a leftover ovary piece messing with hormones. He said a CAT scan may be more definitive, and necessary to consider surgery. He also said in his opinion it's more likely a cyst which could be fairly easily drained, but could cause complications if that's not what it is and/or causes bleeding.

After talking it over, it seems the best plan may be to continue as we have been addressing the diabetes, as long as she's not having high numbers all the time, and not losing weight. He suggested we do another ultrasound in a few weeks and/or if she begins to have further issues, and at that point attempting to drain the cyst might be a good idea.

As I told him, Bella is seemingly doing better the past week or so. She's for sure drinking less, has good energy, and is eating great. I've done a few bg checks in the afternoon and they've been in the high 300's. She weighed in today at 37.6lbs, so doesn't seem to be losing weight, and I've actually been feeding her a little less as was suggested here (800 calories/day vs 1200 before). I mentioned that she had a couple weeks where she seemed to regress with higher numbers and more water drinking, and he said that could likely be due to the eye infection/inflammation.

Her right eye is looking better, still red but reduced in size, and the left eye looks almost back to normal. She has a follow up with the ophthalmologist next week.

Would love to hear what you think, you've been very helpful so far, and while this new info may throw a wrench into it all in a way, it also sounds like confirmation that treating the diabetes is the best course of action, and that in doing so we're making progress in Bella's overall health.

Thanks as always!

Last edited by Bellandanny; 05-27-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:18 AM
Founding Member

I dont think a tumor on the pancreas would affect regulation because dogs in most cases are type one diabetics and don't naturally produce insulin in general and completely dependent on injected insulin Now maybe the general consensus is wrong and many dogs still produce some natural insulin and why some dogs have lower doses than others. It's all an educated guess . Hormones can produce insulin resistance with an intact female in heat but a spayed female if still had an ovary and still cycling you would see more ups and down patterns .

Now the eye problems can affect regulation and cause some resistance as pain can release hormones like cortisol . Now once that is resolved there maybe less insulin needed . So since your dog is feeling better it maybe a good idea to hold at the current dose . May want to take a break from curves for now and just keep spot checking to make sure a low pattern doesnt show up with healing eyes . Once the eyes are healed you can get back to regulating blood sugar .

Hope things continue to improve for your pup . It seems like you 2 are settling in for the long haul
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Old 05-28-2021, 11:55 AM

Good report

400 less calories and you in the 300,s
Amount of food is important as is the amount of insulin.

Fyi
If she ever feels unwell and doesnt eat her food its recommended injectioning 1/4 of the dose. Because bella is on a high dose, i would consider giving 1/4 of the starting dose for 38 lbs.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:34 PM

It's actually a cyst (or most likely that) on/near the pancreas and there is also evidence of previous cysts that drained themselves. It seems to point to either previous pancreatitis which caused pancreas damage and hence diabetes, or un-checked diabetes caused previous pancreatitis leading to damage. They seem to often go hand in hand from what I've be told. And in hindsight, I do remember a couple occasions where she was pretty sick for a day or so, then recovered, possibly the pancreatitis.

Regardless, at this point the cyst may or may not be affecting regulation, and draining it may or may not help. I guess the only new thing to keep in mind is to try to reduce fat intake since there's possibly pancreatitis prone-ness at play.

Good point about the ovarian remnant tumor possibility, you'd think that'd be more up and down. Regardless, we wouldn't operate for that anyhow at this point.

And good advice to keep in mind about still giving 1/4 of starting dose if she doesn't eat. She does seem very dependent on the insulin.

Yeah it does feel like we're on the right track and settling in here around this dose. I bumped her to 18 units today and she was at 622 at 10am, 304 at 3pm, 333 at 5pm. We'll stick here for now, and keep a a close eye on the low points as the eye heals.

Thanks so so much you all, I've definitely gotten good info and support here, and it's helpful to type it all out too. I hope maybe someone else will come across this and be helped out, as I was reading about other's pups. I'll check back in if things change, and to see if I can provide help to anyone else.

One note that may be helpful, I did get the Alphatrax meter and it is significantly faster and overall better than the Test Buddy unit. Also the Alphatrax consistently reads about 20-30 higher than the Test Buddy. I'm assuming it's the more accurate one, but I'll be keeping that in mind if/when we get to lower bounds of blood glucose.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellandanny View Post
It's actually a cyst (or most likely that) on/near the pancreas and there is also evidence of previous cysts that drained themselves. It seems to point to either previous pancreatitis which caused pancreas damage and hence diabetes, or un-checked diabetes caused previous pancreatitis leading to damage. They seem to often go hand in hand from what I've be told. And in hindsight, I do remember a couple occasions where she was pretty sick for a day or so, then recovered, possibly the pancreatitis.

Regardless, at this point the cyst may or may not be affecting regulation, and draining it may or may not help. I guess the only new thing to keep in mind is to try to reduce fat intake since there's possibly pancreatitis prone-ness at play.

Good point about the ovarian remnant tumor possibility, you'd think that'd be more up and down. Regardless, we wouldn't operate for that anyhow at this point.

And good advice to keep in mind about still giving 1/4 of starting dose if she doesn't eat. She does seem very dependent on the insulin.

Yeah it does feel like we're on the right track and settling in here around this dose. I bumped her to 18 units today and she was at 622 at 10am, 304 at 3pm, 333 at 5pm. We'll stick here for now, and keep a a close eye on the low points as the eye heals.

Thanks so so much you all, I've definitely gotten good info and support here, and it's helpful to type it all out too. I hope maybe someone else will come across this and be helped out, as I was reading about other's pups. I'll check back in if things change, and to see if I can provide help to anyone else.

One note that may be helpful, I did get the Alphatrax meter and it is significantly faster and overall better than the Test Buddy unit. Also the Alphatrax consistently reads about 20-30 higher than the Test Buddy. I'm assuming it's the more accurate one, but I'll be keeping that in mind if/when we get to lower bounds of blood glucose.
Raising the dose without doing a curve first is dangerous!

Making one change at a time then waiting 7 days to do a curve then increase or decrease by the lowest number

You just changed her amount of calories and should wait 7 days for that food change to take affect.

Please do not chase numbers. 18 units is alot Double her dose now you.ve reduced the food and risk a drop in blood sugar. Test after food if under 200 wait till bg rises if not start reducing insulin.
Old 05-29-2021, 09:23 AM

Sorry, might be some confusion as my posting here lags the changes in dose and diet, but I appreciate the concern as it made me double check her records.

It's been a week since we did the full curve at 17 units with reduced diet, that one had a low point in the afternoon of 372. I've been inching her up to 18 since then, and have been checking afternoon numbers daily, which are around 320. Today at 9:30am an hour and a half after her meal she's at 540 (507 on older meter).

Will keep a close eye on her and definitely not increasing dosage beyond this without good reason. Both vets have said that getting her in the high 200's/low 300's at the 12hr low point is good enough for now, and more importantly that she's drinking less water, which she is now.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Bellandanny; 05-29-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:36 PM

Hi all, question about insulin adjustments.

Bella has been doing good for almost a month now on 17 units 2x a day. I haven't been testing as often, but the numbers were generally trending downward, from an average high of 500 (at 11am, 3 hrs post meal) and low of 300 (at 3pm). She has also been drinking less water.

Yesterday she seemed to be doing almost too good, and was drinking even less water. I tested her at 3pm and she was at 150. Before mealtime at 8pm she was at 200. Post meal at 11pm she was at 325. I ran out of test strips, but did also do a urine strip test, which showed no glucose in urine, which is a first since her diabetes diagnosis.

This morning post meal she seemed like she was possibly experiencing hypoglycemia for a brief period - shaking, not wanting to move or eat, pale gums. I gave her a little honey, and within 30 minutes or so she seemed better, and ate some food. Finally the new test strips showed up, and at 2pm she was at 330, and 300 just now at 3pm. But this is also post honey and extra food.

So, it seems her numbers are now coming down all of a sudden, and possibly to a dangerous range. Is this unusual after they've been stable on a dosage for a while? What is the usual protocol for reducing the insulin dosage? Or should I withhold it entirely for now?

Unfortunately the vet is closed for the weekend. There is an emergency vet, but I fear that may do more harm than good as they don't know her history. A vet tech friend said to keep the honey close by, but wasn't sure about reducing the insulin.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by Bellandanny; 06-26-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:05 PM
Founding Member

I would test a bit more . Resistance may be broken for whatever reason and the need for less insulin maybe in order .

To reduce by a couple units Maybe something to think about but if you continue to see a lower trend maybe below 150 you may want to take it down another couple units if reducing by 2 units did not do the trick You just want to make sure things are stabilized and maybe have the trend tic upwards . Low blood Is dangerous . A friend of my daughter ( human ) died in his sleep from low blood sugar but Its unusual to see a problem with a dog whose blood sugar is being tested

Its not unusual to see this. sometimes It can be an illness that has healed ,maybe a medication removed or just time for the body to adapt to injected insulin . You will never know and it might be a temporary trend . Now seeing numbers in the 100s and 200s is really good and if consistent thats where you would like to be if thats possible .